Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP, This is kind of a spinoff of another thread, but I've been meaning to post this for a while, and don't want to steal the other mamas thread. My DS (now 2 1/2) WILL NOT stay close when we're in public. I try to let him have as much freedom as possible, but he thinks it's a game all the time and runs away, laughing. Last time I took him to the zoo with my best friend who has a DS 6 weeks older than my DS, her son would run a little bit, but then she would say, "Okay, well, if you want to run, we can go home" or "*****, You need to come back over here please, it makes me sad when you run and I would be sad if I lost you" etc etc etc...exactly the same things I say with my DS...but her DS would come back! Nope, not my DS. Off he goes, and he's laughing hysterically..because he knows I have to chase him.
: I'm afraid that one of these days, he's going to run into traffic, or fall and hit his face on the concrete or something. He gets so over excited and he's so tall and lanky that he trips over his own feet sometimes, then wonders why his knees are all scraped. As a result of this behavior, I am forced to hold on to his hand at almost all times...and he hates it, and fights me on it. We were in TJ Maxx looking for a birthday present for someone and I let him go for a second to pick something up and he ran off and I lost him...he took off and I started chasing him but he can run underneath and around the racks of clothes faster than I can, and he just giggled his heart out and the only way I could keep somewhat of an eye on where he was running is because occasionally I would see the flash of the tye dyed t-shirt he was wearing. Now, tommorrow, I am planning on going to the zoo again with him and my best friend, her DS and 5 month old DD, and I really want to take my 6 month old DNeice...(I miss having a baby in the sling, and I think she would really enjoy it) but I'm skeptical on taking my DS at all!! Other MDC moms are planning on meeting up with us, so the last thing I need is not only to not be able to enjoy the zoo with my DS, and my friend et al., but also look like a horrid mother in front of everyone else and their beautiful children because I'm chasing around and yelling after my DS that just refuses to stay close.

The last time we were there my best friend also ran after my DS and ended up trying to help get him to stay close...I felt like I was a failure and at the end of my rope. Speaking of rope, my mother (bless her, she just irkes me sometimes) suggested I get one of those leash things...
I don't believe in those, and I see no reason to put a 2 1/2 yo perfectly capable of walking in a stroller, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Sorry to make this so long, but I've been meaning to post on this for a while now, and at this point, i'm a leech for suggestions. HELP!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. One of the reasons I am afraid to consider the harness idea is for the exact reason you mentioned, Delta...i'm afraid he will take off and end up falling flat on his face, or tripping, or the all-time favorite, having an all-out-screaming-fists-on-the-ground tantrum because he's attached to me, even if it is at some length. He won't even wear a band-aid. I appreciate your input and experiences with said devices. Dal made some good points about the safety of his current behavior, and the enjoyability of the experience as a whole as it stands. I still don't quite know how I feel about them on the whole, but it's worth some thought, even if I do decide against them and just torture myself. I just wish that it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Too much energy!!!

Thanks mamas, you are wonderful

Kate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts