Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that DS is on the spectrum and I know I need for him to see a neurologist. He's almost 4yo. It's time. I just don't want to know.
: I don't want someone to tell what is already true, ya know? I know autism isn't a death sentence and I know that he is who he is and I will love him no matter what but I have had such a hard time picking up the phone!

It's ridiculous. Why can't I just make a phone call and get him an appt?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well, why do you need to?

We only got a dx for Bede so he could apply for SSI - and I found out afterwards that we didn't need to do that as the gummint would dx him for us on their dime. I think mamarhu did that and that's how I found out you could.

We homeschool so I didn't need it for a school district, and we don't use any outside therapies so I didn't need one for that...

I will say it was kinda nice to have it in Important Black and White Letterhead both for my own sense of closure (all things must have a definite end or resolution! not that I'm the one on the spectrum too or anything
) but much more for the 'officialness' of it, the provability to others.

But I'd have gotten that with the SSI eval as well.

Oh wait, I'm probably helping you to drag your feet! Oops!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, you may be dragging your feet because you're not sure it's what you want to do.

You can post on this board about having a child with special needs without a diagnosis, you can read helpful books and websites without a diagnosis and be helped by that understanding of your child, you can probably go into therapy or get an OT or ST evaluation and receive services or any number of other things without an evaluation.

We identified that DS should be evaluated for Asperger's or something thereabouts, but after reading and living with the possibility for awhile, I realized we really no longer had any doubts about it. I haven't yet found a really good reason to have him diagnosed, and we'd either have to pay privately or risk not being able to get rid of the diagnosis if we decided he'd be better off without one (someone here mentioned that people with spectrum dx's often can't be foster parents and have greater trouble adopting, so that's a real concern for me). It was extremely important to me to start reading the right books, though, so I really recommend going for clarity--otherwise it gets exasperating at times (okay, so sometimes it does anyway, and even with the child who isn't your SN child
)

Sherri

Sherri

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to because my DH needs to know too. I'm praying that our insurance UAV's will help pay for more services. I also need to know so he will qualify for an extended day at his IEP so he'll get more attention.

I would love to just not worry about it. That's why I haven't until now. He's so sweet and loving and he can read emotion which always kept me from thinking he was on the spectrum (thanks to this board I know it's not the case!).

If you have an kid with autism, what are your dreams for them? What do you wish?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My ds doesn't have an official DX, and I definitely understand where you are coming from re: getting more support for him. I have some reservations about getting a dx for him for reasons mentioned above. On the other hand, I think it would be very helpful for other family members and myself to have that Piece of Paper to solidify that it's not the kid but the Thing and so people can have more realistic expectations of him.

My hopes and dreams are that he will have a fulfilling, happy life and that we will be there to encourage, support, and help him through his journey. My short-term dream is that he will go to Kindergarten w/o an IEP in place, but I honestly don't think that will happen... so I would be thrilled to pieces if he could learn how to draw a "person" or a shape (he is starting to make circles!).

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
don't be scared to make it "offiical" if it will help him somehow. It doesn't change anything, you know, except if it gets him better services or understanding somehow. He's just himself, label or not.

(My boy's life is dramatically better since his diangosis. It was the ticket to lots of happy, helpful stuff)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.