Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going completely dairy-free for a spell, including butter (yes, you can gasp in horror. i am.) I love butter and eat boatloads of it, and find that eating something nice and fatty with my oatmeal or on toast makes it easier for me to eat carby foods and not gain weight!

So, obviously all the fake "butter" imitations are out. Soy is out. I don't love nut butters (make me feel kinda crummy), but need that *something*. Suggestions? Recipes?

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I lurk here.

On toast, honey, preserves or nut butters.

On oatmeal, berries, brown sugar, cinnamon, maple syrup, preserves, a little granola, nuts...

I am not sure what kinds of oils would be okay for cooking TF as I am just a lurker.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine giving up butter. We eat a lot of butter in this house!

I like coconut oil as a condiment when I don't eat butter. It gives me satiated feeling. In cooking I use olive oil or fat from meat like chicken or bacon.

Is ghee out too?

·
Registered
595 Posts
For cooking, you would want to use pork fat (bacon grease), olive oil, or coconut oil (though I have questions about the sustainability of coconut oil). For condiment purposes, I agree with pps - maple syrup, honey, preserves, etc. I have a friend who likes to sprinkle nutritional yeast on popcorn, and dh likes garlic powder.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I gave up butter for a long time. (I just started using a little bit sometimes again). it was hard but I got to where I didn't miss it so much. I use a lot of bacon grease - it tastes good in SO many dishes and veggies. YUM! we also use lard (not good for spreading on toast but great for frying/sauteing/cooking. We like coconut oil on some things too.

if nothing else you could use something different than a fat for spreading on toast - b/c you wont find something just like butter that ins't butter. why not go a totally different route? guacamole, hummus, jam, preserves, fruit etc...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Since you're wanting to help your carby foods stick to your ribs, how about coconut cream concentrate? I liked it, back when I could eat it. It was good on toast (especially if stirred with some honey first), nice when added to oatmeal. I never thought it reconstituted to coconut milk like they claim, but I would put a bit scoop of it in the water when heating it for oatmeal. And it has some protein, too, for extra rib-stickiness.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think in some places (want to say Eastern Europe--had something like this in Prague) they use bacon fat and/or lard on bread with salt and pepper. I thought it was pretty tasty. . . Then, of course, there's the olive oil dunking thing you see at Italian restaurants.

Also, you say nut butters make you feel crummy--does this include nut butters made from soaked nuts? That's supposed to help with digestibility.

Maybe tahini?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
We use coconut milk on oatmeal - it's thick, creamy, rich. Coconut oil is good as a spread on toast, graham crackers, granola bars. Avocado in sandwiches, salads, dressings, smoothies. I love the suggestion for bacon fat! Mmm, on steamed veggies.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Because of the prohibition on mixing meat and dairy, European Jewish people have traditionally used chicken fat (maybe with a little salt) as a bread spread. You can also put it on rice or baked potatoes. I tried this when I had to go on a very restricted diet for several months, and it was quite tasty.

I wouldn't suggest replacing the butter with honey, maple syrup, or jam. With sugar and starch together, and no fat to moderate things, there would be way too much likelihood of an insulin spike. But a little honey and a substitute fat -- such as lard or coconut oil -- might work well.

Oh, and homemade mayonnaise is good on lots of things.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Subbing.

We are facing having to give up butter too (DS has a cow dairy sensitivity--even to raw) and it's clear he's going to want to nurse again once my milk comes back in for this next baby. The thought of giving up butter makes me want to cry...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I use palm oil which, although not as nearly as yummy as butter, works well on toast/breads/etc. I use olive oil in cooking in place of it as well.

HTH!

Lauren

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's also worth mentioning that some of us do very well with moderate amounts of unrefined vegetable oils, such as flax, peanut, and hemp. Although WAPF is generally down on vegetable oils, the truly fresh, cold-pressed ones are traditional foods. As with olive oil, flax seed oil has been hand pressed in Europe for centuries. I haven't been able to find a home oil press (except some very heavy and expensive imported ones), so I just buy the smallest possible bottles of unrefined oil from a store with a high turnover. If they're kept in the freezer and used within a week or two, they don't seem to develop any "off" smells or flavors. But I just noticed that the L'Equip juicer has an optional oil press attachment; I'll have to look into that possibility.

For a bread spread, one of my cookbooks has a tasty recipe that contains 2 parts coconut oil, 1 part flax seed oil, salt, and a substantial amount of onions and garlic. It's based on a recipe called Oleolux, which was used by the German doctor Johanna Budwig as part of her anti-cancer program. You have to keep it refrigerated and use it up fairly quickly, because of the flax oil, but I think the coconut oil and vegetable antioxidants do add some stability. (Dr. Budwig's program uses a lot of flax oil, and she was careful to avoid oxidation as much as possible.) It seems reasonably healthy, in the quantities you'd be using.

You can probably find the recipe online, if you search for Oleolux.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I would use coconut oil, or meat fat, or home made mayo, or nut butter on your bread. In oatmeal, I'd melt in coconut oil, or use coconut milk, or stir in a nut butter.

I don't recomend including ghee when you're first cutting out dairy. It's a good dairy product to test after a few weeks, but I recomend going COMPLETELY dairy free at first.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I second the lardo suggestion! Lardo is cured pig fat flavoured with rosemary or other herbs.

Also, for cooking, duck fat is looooovely.
:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Smart Balance. Tastes like salted butter, not too bad for you either.

Or ghee. But it's not as flavorful for spreading on toast or something like that.

ETA: i just realized this post was in the TF forum, so Smart Balance might not quite be what you were looking for

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Coconut oil (extra virgin) is divine for frying/scrambling eggs. I think it gives a very buttery flavor. We use palm shortening in baking as well as coconut oil. We also use bacon grease for cooking/frying/sauteing. I can't eat toast so I don't know what you could put on it! But for rice cakes, I use peanut butter and raw honey. Why don't you make some bacon to go with your oatmeal? That sounds good to me!

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
I love butter and eat boatloads of it, and find that eating something nice and fatty with my oatmeal or on toast makes it easier for me to eat carby foods and not gain weight!

Since you mentioned toast -- one of my favorite things to eat is sliced avocado and mayo on toast!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.