Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine keeps arguing with me about this, and I would love some help settling the dispute.

You know how you chart your fertile days when you are using NFP... anyhoo, here is the problem.

When does day 8 start?

Do you count the first day of your period as day 1?
Or do you count the last day of your period as day 1?

TIA~ Jodi

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
You are referring to the calendar rhythm method, which is NOT and never has been NFP. NFP is based on reading your fertility signals and recording them on a chart, and has nothing at all to do with how many days into your cycle you are.
In NFP, you are considered potentially fertile when you experience vaginal fluids of a sticky, creamy, or slick & stretchy consistency. This often shows up shortly after the period ends, somewhere around cycle day 7 or so. Cycle day 1 is the first day of menstruation, which I believe answers your question.
When charting, you also take your basal body temperature, to see when your average morning temp rises - called a thermal shift. When you see the thermal shift, you know you have ovulated, and are considered infertile on the 3rd night after the shift.

Relying on a "you're fertile between days 8 & 18" system is asking for a pregnancy, because many women experience periodic long cycles where they might not even ovulate 'till day 18 or 20.....and then where would you be?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mehndi mama
Relying on a "you're fertile between days 8 & 18" system is asking for a pregnancy, because many women experience periodic long cycles where they might not even ovulate 'till day 18 or 20.....and then where would you be?
Before Nova, I wouldn't ovulate until AT LEAST cd 21! Day 1 is the first day of your period and NFP is NOT the rythym/ calendar method.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts