Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We've been potty learning for a few weeks and DS1 has been doing pretty well when he's at home and in his "big boy underwear".  At home he uses a little plastic potty exclusively.  He goes to daycare twice a week and will occasionally use their child sized flushy but is not consistent.  Yesterday I left DS2 at home with DH and took DS1 with me to the grocery store.  Usually this is a fun thing for the two of us.  We go to their cafe first and split a muffin or scone and we have fun looking at different produce and so forth.  Anyhow, he got through about half of his part of the scone and declared he was done and started doing the potty dance.  I asked if we could use the potty at the store (it's actually a pretty nice restroom, though no little potties) but he completely freaked out.  We ended up having to drive back home for him to use his potty at home.  Previously he's also refused to use the potty at the mall, including their child sized flushies. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>He was wearing a pull-up at the time and I told him he could pee in his pull-up but he freaked out at that too since he somehow had a pull-up accident earlier in the day.  I was upstairs and DH didn't see exactly what happened, but DS1 was probably in the process of trying to pull his pants down to pee when he did it and completely soaked his pants.  Usually if he's wearing a pull-up or a diaper he will go in it so I try to keep him just in underwear and pants at home for him to learn.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So how do I help him use a public potty?  I can put the potty seat on the big toilet here at home to get him used to that, but it's still a big step to use public flushies.  And we need to tackle peeing standing up, though I think I will enlist DH on that one since he can demo that.  How do you moms of little boys tackle public pottying?</p>

·
Registered
681 Posts
<p>Do you have him in the stall when you go in public?  I think it's good to get them used to it a bit more before you expect them to go.  My LO was nervous at first being around them.  But then he liked being able to flush it once I was done.  Maybe you can start going more frequently in public restrooms (even if you don't really have to go).  That way he gets used to them a bit more.  Singing songs distracted my guy too when he started to get upset.  Watch out for the toilets with the automatic flushes too.  Those really freaked out my DS.  I put my hand over the sensor when he goes to ensure it doesn't go off before he's done.  Then I tell him to tell the potty to flush.  (he thinks it listens to him now, which gives him some control, which he likes).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!  It will take some time getting used to, but I'm sure he'll get it. </p>

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
<p>When DS was first learning I used to bring his plastic Ikea potty in a re-usable shopping  bag with wipes and a small bottle of water everywhere with me. For the first couple of mons DS was uncomfortable using a flush toilet even with a potty seat (I tried using the folding potty seat at first) I still keep the plastic potty in the car for just in cases (like no where near a bathroom, dirty bathrooms, etc) It worked out really well. Now DS will use any toilet anywhere and doesn't even need a potty seat to feel comfortable. </p>

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
<p>We didn't use the little potty at all to start. I used a potty seat on our big toilet. For the first couple of months whenever I would go ANYWHERE I would carry an extra potty seat with me (the same one as at home so it was familiar - but unfortunately not so discreet!). As soon as we got somewhere new I would take ds to the washroom mostly to show him there was one & then we would usually go again before we left (maybe not for a short trip like the grocery store). It really didn't take him long to understand that anywhere we go would have a washroom & then I slowly started having him sit on the regular toilet seat while I held him (but would still bring the seat with us just in case). Now I never carry the seat with us anymore.</p>

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Thanks ... we're trying with putting the seat from his favorite potty (it's a 3 in 1 with a seat designed to fit on big toilets) on the toilet but so far he agrees in theory and freaks out when it comes to actually doing the deed on the toilet.  It doesn't help that he's oh so very three right now =\  In the mean time I'll take one of his little plastic potties with us when we go out.  This too shall pass, right?</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts