Mothering Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's great! I think I'm finding myself really stuck on these little issues because ds is having such big emotions and reactions to a lot of things lately. But a lot is going on and I'm trying to just ride a lot of it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sometimes I think Attachment Parenting and GD become so much more difficult after infanthood! It was such a breeze to cater to a young baby's wants and needs, which are the same at that age. Now, with our toddlers and pre-schoolers, there is so much more to think about.<br><br>
My DD at 2.5 can fly off the handle easily too. If her cracker breaks, for example. I find myself tripping all over myself trying to make it better - can I get you another cracker, can I piece it together for you, etc, etc... but more often than not, she just needs to express her frustration and cry about it.<br><br>
I went through a bad phase of diminishing her feelings by saying, "Oh, you must be tired, I guess you need a nap." (which is probably true, but comes out like a threat to put her to bed because she is crying) She would stop crying immediately, wipe her eyes and sob quietly, "I feel better now." That was an easy out for me to end the crying, but so wrong. I want her to know it's ok to be sad and it's ok to express that. So lately, I just try say something like, "I see you are crying. Are you feeling sad?" She'll most often bawl, "Yeeeesssss" and I will ask if I can help her or hold her. She usually says, "no" or even "go away" at first, so then I stay back while she cries until she either says, "I want you, Mommy" or somehow gestures for me.<br><br>
I think it's working, because now she will often talk about the incident after the fact. "My cracker broke. I was sad. I was crying." Sometimes, even the next day she will tell me about things that had upset her the previous day. And she is learning to empathize too. When the toddler I babysit cries, she will tell me, "Edge is crying. He's sad. His Mommy left." When he stops crying, she says. "He feels better now."<br><br>
- KCMommy

21 - 22 of 22 Posts