Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Native American Reservations are Sovereign Nations and so far, birth has not been criminalized, I am wondering how to make homebirths and midwifery safe on the Reservations.

Currently, the moms are either driven out or flown out to hospitals and usually end up with c-sections.

I live in MN, so, need to pick one Reservation as a 'pilot project'.

Anyone with advice, ideas, help with making this possible?

·
Registered
190 Posts
hmmmm

where can you get statistics about births on the rez?

how about somewhere with a budget?

where do you know midwives doulas already practicing?

would it make a difference which equipment is owned by each reservation?

where can you find partners in education?

and lastly where is your rep the best . . . ehhhhh!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by makawee
and lastly where is your rep the best . . . ehhhhh!

That is why I am trying to get 'others' to do it.

I don't wanna be another "Anna Mae Aquash" iykwim.
:

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Maybe post in the MN tribal area and see if there's a rez (using that abbreviation cause the PP did) with a lot of MDC mamas? Then there'd already be support for the improvement.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Maybe post in the MN tribal area and see if there's a rez (using that abbreviation cause the PP did) with a lot of MDC mamas? Then there'd already be support for the improvement.
I didn't want it to become race issue, that is why I posted here, as these people already understand the laws behind midwifery/homebirth/UC.

Maybe it can't be avoided and I am on my own.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Besides, if Reservations can start the 'movement' then it might be a stepping stone for all of America.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know a few midwives who have been Rez midwives (in Nevada or Arizona) and they might be able to help you, especially with regard to statistics that will build a case for grants. I know that they had amazing stats in the face of pretty terrible conditions.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Oh, I was only addressing the "I live in MN, so, need to pick one Reservation as a 'pilot project'." part of your post. This is definitely the place to figure out what you're going to do for the project.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. Should I start writing them with information about homebirth being safer than hospital birth?
Or should I go on the cultural aspect, Ojibwe birthing practices and how to make them stronger or followed?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Actually, I'd start with how much money they would save by providing this form of proven, safe, alternative care that just happens to be traditional to 'the people.'

$$ speak the loudest in most cases, sadly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is the only link I could find... http://www.naho.ca/english/pdf/ABirt...SixNations.pdf
I grew up on the Six Nations Reserve in Ontario and this Birthing Centre handled my prenatal care for the birth of my first child. They have an excellent idea going here and it's *totally* professional. I know there are Aboriginal women from various parts of the country (not sure about the states) who come to the birthing centre as students while they're completing their midwifery degree.

I know that things are much different in the states - but it appears to me that most Aboriginal Midwives here have the same training as lay midwives in the states do (but lack hospital privelages).

Anyways... some inspiration for you - and maybe you could contact them for more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts