Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 month old DS who is having a rough time lately. He doesn't use many words yet, but he is otherwise able to communicate what he wants and he rarely has tantrums that are miscommuncation related, as far as I can tell. Teething also has never been a real problem for us. He nurses plenty during the day and lots during night since day 1. He eats a good diet--no sugar or white flower, lots of fruits and veggies, the only dairy he eats is yogurt. He do eat grains like whole wheat breads and sometimes I bake NT-style cookies but he has tolerated those very well and has never shown signs of a food allergy. He also has never had a proper temper tantrum, but from time to time has just had a crying/screaming fit because he's tired or frustrated, nothing regular until now. Plus he's been in a really good mood recently, he's been pretty easy going.

He has also never been sick. Two days ago he came down with a stuffy nose. It wasn't too bad and he managed to sleep and the congestion was really manageable. During the day he was fine, but at night he got very hot, so I suspect he had a slight fever. Last night he was fine, no fever, and his nose is pretty much clear. But for the last two days he has been having fit after fit after fit. Screaming, flailing, miserable....holding him doesn't help, it takes a long time before he's calm enough to nurse, offering him food only makes it worse, offering any alternatives actually usually makes him scream more, so I have ended up just hold him until he calmed down enough and then nursed him. Then at some point, he gets off the boob and begins having his fit again. When he is calm I ask him if his tummy hurts or his head hurts or his ear hurts. He knows body parts and can point to them (the only ones he knows how to say are eyes, nose, mouths and knee).

He hasn't eaten much, but since he nurses so much, he has been peeing adequately, the pee is clear and doesn't smell funny. He poops normal, too.

I think I've ruled out allergies, his cold is all but gone and it wasn't much of a big deal to begin with, if it's teeth he isn't drooling more or shoving his fingers in his mouth and I can't see any new ones about to break through so who kmows....

Could it be an ear infection? But he hasn't been touching his ears or given us any signs that they hurt. I'm not even sure if his pain is physical, but I can't get to the bottom or the source of his fits
I'm usually very in tune with my baby, but I don't know what's bothering him right now. I'm getting a little worried about the frequency of his fits and how intense they are, how inconsolable he is......anyone have any insights? tips? BDTD?

Sorry so long, thanks for reading and being here

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Hi. My first thought was ear infection. They almost always follow colds and one of my sons had his first at 32 months. Anyway, in both my boys the fits are what I notice most. The thing is, it will probably clear up on its own without treatment (antibiotics not needed for ear infections generally imo/experience/research). I'd think you might want to know for sure though. In either case, putting breastmilk in his ear won't hurt. If it is an ear infection warm garlic-mulein oil is good for pain. I don't do tylenols and the like because they suppress the body's ability to fight the infection and the oil does the trick. I also wanted to mention that both my boys are very verbal and communicate well. Both know all their body parts and even tell me when they fall down and get hurt--arm hurts, whatever. Neither one told me their ears hurt with this last ear infection. When I directly asked they told me no. They obviously did though based on behavior and then a drs.. trip/confirmed ear infections--with puss and bulging ear drums--one on one side and the other a double ear infection. Also, one of my sons has had lots of them and never has pulled at his ears--it has always been behavior that clued me in. He actually rarely runs a fever even with an infection and sleeps ok with them too...it is during the day things are rough. The other guy has more trouble at night. I hope this helps and he is better soon whatever it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts