Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from a family of people who "space out" OFTEN, especially when overstimulated or overtired. My dad is notorious for this, and I do it, too...and so do many other family members. DS1 has been having these episodes more frequently lately, and I'm becoming concerned about the possibility of absence/petit mal seizures. I took him to the neuro for an EEG when he was 5 years old, and he had a brief episode toward the end of the EEG, but the neuro said it was not a seizure, it was "autistic stereopathy" (mild activity in the frontal lobe, common with autistic individuals). That was over 3 years ago.<br><br>
My DH says that the original visit to the neuro was a waste of time/money, it's just one of the quirks of our family, doesn't want to go through that again. Can someone point me to a scientific website that explains petit mal seizures and the behaviors that accompany these seizures? DS1 has had many changes in behavior & temperament lately that are making my maternal instincts tingle. I need a better understanding of what petit mal seizures are and aren't. Please help!

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
"Spacing out" is a really different thing than petit mal or absence seizures. For example, a person who is spaced out can be called back into attentiveness. That doesn't happen during absence seizures. But it can be hard to tell because petit mal seizures are typically short.<br><br>
Absence seizures are also often associated with repetitive, tic-like behavior.<br><br>
Descriptive websites:<br><br><a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/petit-mal-seizure/DS00216" target="_blank">http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pet...eizure/DS00216</a><br><a href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000696.htm" target="_blank">http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000696.htm</a><br><br>
I don't think your first neuro visit was a waste of money, but it didn't reveal anything, so I probably wouldn't start there now. It's probably worth consulting your regular HCP about, though. Sometimes putting a child on an event monitor (they carry it around, usually on a belt) for a while can be really revealing.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The primary difference (in appearance) between the sz and "spacing out" could be when it occurs. Sz can occur during the middle of a sentence or an activity, the person can not be aroused or brought out of it, and has no memory of the event.<br><br>
If the events are seizures, they wil show on an EEG if an event occurs during the EEG. I have never heard of a false negative EEG, when an event occured during the EEG.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mayo clinic site says, "A noticeable decline in a child's learning ability may be the first sign of this disorder." This is one of the symptoms I've seen lately, in addition to more repetitive behaviors and reduced energy. Also, it's taking him longer to "snap out of it."<br><br>
I believe that his EEG 3 years ago was accurate, but it's the recent changes that have me worried. Thank you for your quick feedback and support, I deeply appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you are worried, take him back to a neuologist and have him tested again. It is possible that he has activity now that he did not have before.

·
Registered
594 Posts
So to piggy back on the questions becuase I am seriously starting wonder myself:<br><br>
If absence seizures are so short, how can you tell if the starting to respond is due to the end of the seizure or they are responding to you?<br><br>
He doesn't react until he is ready to.... but this isn't happening a lot. Mostly when he is asked to work hard.<br>
Twice in a 10 minute period at therapy yesterday. And they just seemed..... off.<br><br>
I was so sure that it was him needing to "reset" his brain for a second, and now I am not so sure.<br><br>
And knowing that between teh ASD and the TBI he has a higher risk of seizures make me think it is time to call the neuro.<br><br>
thanks for letting me crash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts