Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! A gorgeous organic cabbage is rotting on my back deck. Or will soon, if I don't do something with it. Brother and SIL do organic gardening and gave me a cabbage this weekend, but it's enormous and I'm not sure how to use it. The problem is, a lot of traditional cabbage recipes are just not things I care for--saur kraut, coleslaw, cooked cabbage. (Although I did eat a peanut flavored coleslaw once that I liked, so maybe I could find a recipe like that--but I still don't think it would freeze well, so that would only take care of part of this cabbage.) I was thinking maybe make egg rolls and freeze them? We like egg rolls. But I don't have an egg roll recipe. Do any of you?

Any other suggestions for what I can do with it that will store or freeze well?
TIA!

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
We love to sautee it with onion, salt and pepper and stuffing it into pitas.

I've also done the same, but added some "krab" to it and put it into a wrap.

Cabbage rolls? Or the much simpler cabbage 'roll' casserole...cut up cabbage and mix with rice and spaghetti sauce in the crockpot.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is a summer favorite!

Asian Noodle Salad

2 pkgs Ramen Chicken Flavored Noodles.
Boil Noodles 2 minutes and rinse in cold water.
1 Cup slivered almonds.
Brown in 1T butter.
1 medium head cabbage- shredded.
1 red bell pepper- thin sliced.
2 T sesame seeds
chopped green onions

Dressing:
1/4 C olive oil
4 t sugar/ or use honey
spice packets from ramen
1/2 C cider vinegar
salt and pepper

Boil and pour over all.
I usually add ginger, garlic and a little soy sauce.
Also you can add grilled chicken to make it more hearty.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
That sounds yummy - do they have organic ramen noodle packs? The conventional ones have msg I think.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I like to make stuffed cabbage leaves. If it's a big cabbage that should work beautifully.

·
Registered
495 Posts
BARLEY EGG ROLLS

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup medium barley
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
4 scallions, sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 pound bok choy, shredded
1 tablespoon rice wine or white wine vinegar
1 (16 oz.) package prepared egg roll wrappers
oil for frying

In a saucepan bring 4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boiling. Add barley; reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes until barley is tender and water is absorbed. In skillet cook ginger in oil one minute. Add scallions and red pepper.

Cook, stirring until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add shredded bok choy; cook one minute until wilted.

Remove from heat. Stir in rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and barley. For each roll, brush egg roll wrapper with 1 teaspoon water. Place scant 1/2 cup barley mixture horizontally across center of wrapper, leaving 2 inch border on all sides. Fold corner tightly over fillings, then overlap right and left corners. Roll up tightly to enclose filling.

Repeat with remaining barley mixture and wrappers.

In deep skillet heat 1 inch oil to 375 degrees F. Fry rolls in batches until golden and crisp, turning once. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with soy sauce, if desired.

Makes 12 egg rolls.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
You can do lots of things with cabbage.

Egg rolls:

1/2 package firm tofu cut into small cubes
3 cups (or more) of cut cabbage
1 can of bean sprouts, drained and rinsed
1 can water chestnuts diced and drained (optional)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 tsp. ginger or to taste minced
1 tbs. Oyster sauce (optional)
1 package egg roll wrappers

Saute the tofu and ginger until lightly browned in a large large pan or pot. You can replace the tofu with ground pork or chicken or shrimp, if desired. Or just leave it out.

Add in the carrots, cabbage, sprouts, and chestnuts. Wilt down the cabbage slightly, add in oyster sauce and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
Turn off heat, allow to cool slightly.

Wrap the egg rolls as shown on the package. I usually put in about 2 tbs. of filling. Then fry in a pan or deep fryer until golden. Allow to cool before eating!!!

You can also bake them. Once they are wrapped, place them on a well oiled sheet and spray them with canola or olive oil. Make sure they are well coated, but certainly not dripping. Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes, flip and cook 10 more minutes. It may depend on your oven, so pay close attention.

This will make a lot of egg rolls, and you can definitely double or triple it and freeze lots for quick meals. I make a lot and then reheat them for about 10-15 mins on 400 so that they are nice and crispy.
----------------------------------------------
Colcannon
1 head of cabbage
2 pounds (at least) of potatoes (russet or yukon gold work best) peeled, cleaned, and cut into 1" pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup milk
butter to taste

Boil the cabbage and potatoes together until potatoes are fork tender and mashable. Drain almost all of the water (I always keep about 1/4 cup of the boiling water in the pot with them). Add in salt, pepper, milk, and butter, and mash like you would regular mashed potatoes.

This also freezes well, and makes a lot. It tastes really good, and even people I know who are iffy about cabbage like it.

--------------------------------------
Medicinal cabbage applications:
use fresh leaves on wounds, swollen breasts (mastitis, engorgement, etc.), arthritic joints, varicose ulcers, wounds. Or blend fresh leaves with equal g to ml proportions of witch hazel in blender. Add a couple of drops of lemon juice and strain. Use on acne twice a day.

Or make a decoction of cabbage and use 10 ml at a time for asthma, bronchitis, and chest conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts