Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done one of these before and was curious whether it would help ds. Coming up next week he'll be getting x-rays done of his legs (and back, I believe) and then has a doctors appointment after that (ortho surg).<br><br>
How do I write one of these?

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I just posted a few threads about social stories! And I just wrote six of my own that my OT's SLP partner revised for me. So this is all very fresh in my head. Sounds like your primary purpose is to educate him about what's going to happen, right? So it's more of an informative thing, and you're not trying to change behavior or reinforce certain behaviors, right? If you have previous doctor visit experience to draw on, you can use that. And wherever you can insert graphics to reinforce an idea, use them. Pics of a generic doctor, a stethoscope, an xray table, etc. And whatever fun thing you're going to do afterwards!<br><br>
It's important to use words like "sometimes", "I might", and "usually", b/c if you teach a social story and then suddenly things aren't exactly that way, things can get ugly. So even if you KNOW the dr. is going to do XYZ, you would write "the doctor might need to listen to your heart with a stethoscope". Make sense?<br><br>
Here's what I might write (always using "I" pronoun, according to the SLP):<br>
=====================<br><br>
I am going to visit a doctor. Doctors are good people who can help me. This doctor might look at my legs, and he might look at my back. I might sit on a table, or stand on the floor, and I might need to change my clothes while I am at the doctor's office. This is ok, because Mommy will be with me.<br><br>
The doctor may want to touch my legs and my back. This is also ok.<br><br>
Sometimes, doctors have helpers. These helpers are often called "nurses", and I might see or talk to a nurse also. The nurse might want to do things like listen to my heart, take my temperature or other important things. I will try to do what the nurse asks me to.<br><br>
The doctor or nurse will probably take an x-ray of my legs and maybe my back. An x-ray is a special picture that lets the doctor see my bones! To take an x-ray, the doctor needs to use a special camera. Sometimes this camera is very big. I might feel scared about having an x-ray, and that is ok. I can tell Mommy that I'm scared, and she will help me.<br><br>
When the doctor and nurses are done, I will probably get back in the car and go home. Maybe I will have a snack in the car on the way home.<br><br>
================<br>
So add some pictures in along the way - doctors, nurses, an x-ray table, etc. You can do it all on one page, or put each section on a separate page. I'm also going to PM you the stories I wrote that my SLP revised so you can see the basic format.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was great, thanks! And yes- my goal is to teach him what will happen. He does so much better if he knows what to expect. I'll be doing another one about getting blood drawn in a weekish. Agh. So much fun.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
OH OH OH !!!! My OT JUST TODAY gave me a visual book for blood draws!! I'll see if it has a website or something, it's awesome. Laminated cards with all sorts of pics, in fact, it might be perfect for your dr apt too, I'll be back later and I'll let you know if it's worth looking for online or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts