Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some creative input. We've been having rain almost daily for the past few weeks and my drawing board keeps drawing a blank.

My son is turning 3 next Sunday and I am planning a tropical party. So far, I'm making tropical grilled chicken, avacado-mandrin salad, gelatin fruit salad, raspberry slush punch, and corn-on-the-cob, but I'm drawing a blank for a cake and decorations.

I'd go for something different and low-sugar for the cake, but we are having both sets of grandparents over and they are both sort of picky and traditional. We won't be having any other children besides my son at the party, mostly adults. I thought about doing an island or oasis cake, but still running dry on ideas. Any thoughts for cheap decorations. Being broke this week doesn't help any either, so creative, creative....

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
What about an applesauce cake, i know apples are very sweet but at least it wouldn't be white sugar...I like your idea of making the cake an island oasis, You could bake it in something rounded (like one of those pampered chef measuring bowls KWIM?) and add little plastic (i know) decorations and paper umbrellas. I'll bet that if you don't make all of your deco from scratch, that you could find a little island set at a dollar store.

You have so many great ideas already, i'm impressed at the menu (can i come??)

I hope the weather clears up for you.

Blessings
~K~

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
well i would make a regular yellow cake with less sugar and use creamcheese icing. then i would look online and shape the cake according to what u like. maybe like a palm tree u could make out of two cakes. you can figure out what design might be easy for u. my friend just made a dolphin cake and used little hearts for teeth insted of trying to cut them or draw them and a jelly bean for the eye. she printed the shape of the dolphin from the internet.

then u could cover a flat rectangular cookie sheet neatly with foil and put your cake on it.

or u could go to a party store and look at small decorations (i know they have tropical decorations here) like K stuggested or create them with paper and toothpick to stick into a regular round cake and use sprinkles.

and i too love ur menu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts