Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 29 weeks, and just got a slightly low iron test.

Has anyone had low iron and successfully brought it up? What did you do?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
-Cook with cast iron
-Lots of moms here rave about floradix as a gentle iron supplement
-Consume foods with vitamin C along with iron rich foods to absorb more of the iron
-liver, red meat, lentils, beans, and fortified cereals like raisin bran have lots of iron

·
Registered
170 Posts
I took a liquid iron supplement (like floradix, just a different brand) and my levels went from 10.2 to 12.4 without changing anything else in my diet (other than maybe opting to eat steak every once in a while).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Floradix has always worked well for me. I am switching to blood builder though because Floradix is too expensive for us at this time. Along with that, chlorophyll, and a tea that has good things in it (nettles, alfalfa, rose hips, and more).

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a liquid iron supplement (like floradix, just a different brand) and my levels went from 10.2 to 12.4 without changing anything else in my diet (other than maybe opting to eat steak every once in a while).
That is really good to hear! I started on floradix yesterday. How long did it take for your levels to go up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 29 weeks, and just got a slightly low iron test.

Has anyone had low iron and successfully brought it up? What did you do?
I too am at 29 weeks and just received news from my obgyn that my iron was low on my last blood check. My dilemma is I have a horrible reaction to iron supplements and even have to take iron free prenatals. I'm supposed to take 325mg/day but due to my reaction, other than supplementing my diet with iron rich foods, I don't know what to do. I spent the first 4.5 months sick between morning (all day) sickness and vertigo and dread the thought of having to take something that makes me so sick. I hope you get it straightened out and also look forward to any advise.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too am at 29 weeks and just received news from my obgyn that my iron was low on my last blood check. My dilemma is I have a horrible reaction to iron supplements and even have to take iron free prenatals. I'm supposed to take 325mg/day but due to my reaction, other than supplementing my diet with iron rich foods, I don't know what to do. I spent the first 4.5 months sick between morning (all day) sickness and vertigo and dread the thought of having to take something that makes me so sick. I hope you get it straightened out and also look forward to any advise.
Floradix is liquid and REALLY gentle. It is not the same as any other iron supplementation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am allergic to all prenatals due to my corn and soy allergies. I have found a really good iron supplement called 'pur-absorb' I got it at walgreens. It's literally just water from a natural spring in the UK that is naturally iron rich. It's highly absorbable and hypo allergenic. It really worked for me. My iron count was 13 at last check.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am allergic to all prenatals due to my corn and soy allergies. I have found a really good iron supplement called 'pur-absorb' I got it at walgreens. It's literally just water from a natural spring in the UK that is naturally iron rich. It's highly absorbable and hypo allergenic. It really worked for me. My iron count was 13 at last check.
I'm going to Walgreens tomorrow to look for this! I need my iron levels to rise and I only have a couple weeks (or less!) to do it. Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts