Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bad at math, thats not all that the problem is. I am buying organic when I dont think i can continue to. The summer CSA makes things so nice . I am starting this post and will come back .
Major problem obviously is costly meat , & it ends up being around 4oz per day , sometimes my toddler has half of that. I wonder if its worth it but it feels good to eat, but too small a portion for the two adults.
I will post other items , bulk, veggies which I dont know what to buy after summer, frozen again (? ), ect

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
My rule is simple- if its not on sale or at rock bottom prices, I DONT BUY IT, and when its on sale i STOCK UP. That means, no organic, no red meat (only chicken, turkey, pork)- those are huge sales during the holidays.

My house is a bit funky because we both have celiac so the budget is a bit larger and I have dairy issues.

Hummus is huge right now, Yogurt, Cheese - all things my kid can eat for protien.

Some staples I get every week: lettuce, tomatoes, bananas, apples, 'other loss leader produce' yogurt, mini carrots,

my head is still foggy, i will check back later

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are you trying to write your whole budget or just food budget? Do you know how much you currently spend on food?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eating healthy and on a budget is very hard. Props to you for trying to keep your family on an organic budget. I struggle at times, but I'm finding lots of tips along the way that help.

One thing that really helped us is Costco. If you don't want to pay for a whole membership, find a friend and see if they will split the membership with you. I buy all my frozen veggies there and all my meat, when it's not farmers market season. They also have canned goods, cereals, baking goods etc.

Another tip is to search for regular shopping tips and then apply them to your organic grocery list.

My sister and write a mom blog and we have a series called Trimming Your Organic Budget. (twitchetts.com, search for organic budget...sorry, too new to drop an actual link.) We haven't added to it in a while, but there are some fun little tricks that help spread the dollar a bit. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Your original post focused on food, but I'm wondering if that is the only thing you are looking to budget.

I use an excel spreadsheet that I created. It works for me cuz I want a flexible budget that shows me if I can afford things rather than one that gives me limits on categories. That allows me to plan trips, make large meat purchases, factor in miscellaneous expenses, etc. It also allows me to enter in new amounts to "test drive" a larger or smaller payment option for certain bills (think phone upgrades, no cable, etc).

I enter in our estimated incomes and all regular expenses and bills. As we go, I update the spreadsheet to show all other purchases. The last column is a running total with color flagging, so if I'm getting close to $0 or negative, it shows me where the problem is. Then I can play with the money until it is right and make adjustments to payments, savings, etc. I electronically pay bills and transfer into savings, etc. so everything is on the computer and pretty much adjustable. Right now, we are doing a lot of travel, etc for business, so I'm not paying off some things as fast, but I've projected to May of '16 and things are looking up after January, with a pretty hefty spending limit for the Holidays (well, hefty for us).

I do have 7 or so savings accounts through an online bank (ally.com), which I love. I set up automatic transfers into the savings, and I've never had an issue transferring the money back to my standard account (which I do instead of directly withdrawing). All my bills come from my standard checking account, so it's all centralized there and I check my online records with my budget spreadsheet at least once a week.

Some people prefer the categorization budget, which is good, but my mind and money just don't work that way, so I prefer the running total projection budget. I have a blank spreadsheet with all the formulas that I will send people if they want to IM me with a method that allows excel docs (email, FB messaging, etc).

Reactions: onthemove
1 - 5 of 5 Posts