Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...we thought we had our girl name picked out. (We arnt talking about boys names...my fiance thinks it'll curse us and it'll suddenly be a boy. lmao)

I asked him the other day if we had another little girl at some point if we could name her this other name. He now really likes that name too! Gah!

So, I need help with 2 things. First, which name would you pick and for which kid-I'm pretty sure we'll have one more after this and if its a girl too, we'll use whichever name isnt used now (probably). Also, if you think either name is hidious you can tell me, I wont mind

The names are: Hailey Ann (original name but I'm thinking this would be cuter for the youngest)
Mieke-this name is German, its pronounced MEE-KUH.

The 2nd problem is-I cannot find a middle name that works with Mieke. We were thinking Mieke Kelly-Kelly is his moms name and I know that she'd LOVE it, but it just doesnt look right...and probably sounds kinda odd, seeing as Mieke is so not-american sounding and Kelly well...is? I dont know! Maybe with an interesting spelling Kelly wouldnt look so bad on paper? Any thoughts on that?

Anywho, what do you guys think?

· Registered
2,312 Posts
I actually think they sound great together. I think Mieke flows better with your other children's names. I also love being able to honor our families in some way.

I'm continuing the tradition (if we have a girl) of giving the first girl her grandmother's middle name, I have my grandmother's middle name, and I'll give my (if I ever have one) daughter my mother's middle name.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
I wonder if MIL has a nice middle name that would work?

i've always liked the name Meike, though.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
I have a thing for German names (and yeah, I have a HUGE German ancestry, so that *probably* adds a bit to it
).. And I love Mieke!!! .. I seem to know a lot of Haileys lately and that's always something that kind of turns me off to names, though it's still gorgeous.

Could you somehow alter Kelly a bit? Like... for some reason in my head Mieke Kahlie (kah-LEE) just has a beautiful cadence to it. Because even if you altered "Kelly" a bit, the thought is still there and the honor as well

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kelly actually is his moms middle name. I had no idea until about a week ago-EVERYONE calls her Kelly, lol. Her first name is the same as my 2nd's so that wont work either.

I was thinking about a different spelling, not sure about a different pronunciation though. I'll have to talk about that with my fiance.

Oddly he's mostly German, but that had nothing to do with why we like it, lol. Wonder what Kelly in German is...if there is such a thing...time to go look!

· Registered
2,912 Posts
I love Meike too. I agree that it seems to coordinate better with your other children's names, and I don't really dig Hailey.

Meike Ann/Anna would work (very traditional German middle name, anyway). And maybe Meike Elly (Kelly w/o the K)?

· Registered
783 Posts
I love Meike, and honestly think is sounds fine with Kelly as a middle name. Really, how often do you use your middle name anyway? I'd say that most of the people we know either have no idea what our kids' middle names are, or have forgotten them.
(And, just for fun, if you're into German names, I have a friend who's German. She has three beautiful little girls named Kalindi (Kah-lin-dee), Anisha (Ah-nee-sha), and Malika (Mah-lee-kah). I think they are all gorgeous names.
)

· Registered
471 Posts
I like the name Meike Kelly a lot. The name Kelly sounds Irish to me, and I am all for names (esp. middle ones) representing something.

I have a hard time dissociating the name Hailey with a mean goalie on my ice hockey team in high school... you know how that is... so I don't know if I don't love Hailey, or I just don't love the Hailey I knew.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, I know what you mean. There's been quite a few names that I'm like oh...no, I knew this one chick...

I'm saving the middle name Ann for Hailey. I guess its possible we'll find something else before then, but I still really like the name Hailey. But then again, Ann goes with so many names well, it'll still probably get used.

Right now she's being called *baby unknown,* haha. I'm sure we'll decide for sure soon...and I think it'll end up being Mieke. My fiance REALLY likes it.

· Registered
189 Posts
I think Mieke is BEAUTIFUL. Personally I think it would sound good with a 3-syllable middle name. Mieke Margarethe. Mieke Annelise (okay Annelise is my girl name). Mieke Katarine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.