Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that JoAnn's is having the suedecloth sale tomorrow. I'd like to get some, and probably will anyway. But I haven't "used" a diaper since I'm new to it all and pregnant with #1. What do you all like to use for the inside of a pocket diaper?

Microfleece, suedecloth, flannel, or something else?

I was gearing on using my flannel, since I have some at home, and buying a little microfleece as a topper, to save $$. But the suedecloth is a great price I see, and really NEED opinions so I don't buy too much or too little. Also if you could, do you think you could use the suedecloth as the topper? or would it not work well like that?

Please tell me why you would recommend what you would/do use.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I prefer suedecloth over microfleece because it's easier to sew. It doesn't stretch as much as MF, so that makes it easier for me. I like that SC doesn't pill like MF does. Both seem to be equal as far as stay-dryness (is that even a word
) goes. Plus, SC is cheaper. They work equally well for the inner layer of pockets IMO.

But, I think flannel is perfectly fine for the insides of diapers. Not all babies are sensitive to being wet and not all babies like the stay-dry fabrics. My DS never seemed to care one way or the other, but now, at 19 months, he very obviously prefers all cotton next to his skin, so I have to replace the 15 or 16 diapers we have with something that doesn't have SC or MF.

Why don't you pick up some SC, but still try a couple of diapers with flannel and MF? That way you can get and idea of what you like.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Hehe, just the opposite of above.

I found the suedecloth lined diapers 'attracted' wierd lint and fibery bits and I didn't like the feel at all, after a few washes, however all the microfiber fleece (chamois weave) has never pilled and stayed really nice and soft....

However, I have noticed my 'Fuzzi Bunz' ones get thin and start looking worn and 'thin' where you can see the bottom layer. I had ordered some custom made from a mom a few years ago, and she used a better quality microfleece, chamois weave, and those still look good as new.

I think the Fuzzi Bunz manufacturer uses a 'custom weave' that is actually inferior (thinner and cheaper to make them more money) to what you can buy, if you buy the double sided 'chamois' weave to use.

But hey, buy a sample of both and test it, as I know moms' that will swear by one or the other!

I am thinking of just making a pocket style for day use with a hemp/cotton inner for my mediums/larges to allow the baby to potty train faster so they can feel the wet! If I could ever get my hands on some bamboo velour, then that'd be what I'd use!! /drool over thought of bamboo velour!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've only made flannel AIO's before this baby(#10). Those worked fine for the last 5 kids, but I was really tired of the wetting through all the time. This time I'm making pocket dipes with a waterproof outer liner-like raincoat material, but has that scratchy sound when you rub your nails over it. I've been using MM microfleece for the inners, and I LOVE it! No staining, no pilling! I use microfiber towels for the stuffing. I wish I had done this in the beginning!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I went and saw the suedecloth at joann's and did not like it at all! I was expecting the kind of micro suede from the cloths I buy in the automotive section in discount stores... that stuff is really nice. But not big enough to do much with.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by webjefita
I went and saw the suedecloth at joann's and did not like it at all! I was expecting the kind of micro suede from the cloths I buy in the automotive section in discount stores... that stuff is really nice. But not big enough to do much with.
Ditto...

Went to Joann's ready to purchase SC and it really felt creepy. I hated it and am looking for other alternatives.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.