Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Last week fiancee and i started deep cleaning the basement. We started in the furnance/storage area and found some slight mold on a baseboard. We cleaned it with bleach and fiancee has a horrible reaction. He is allergic to mold. Well last night he was cleaning the basement rec room and moved the ottoman and found mold growing under the area rug and on the underside of the ottoman. Like i said he is very allergic and I am just 6 weeks pregnant.

We are renters. We have had horrible interaction with the rental company. Our home is literally run down and they will not fix anything that costs, like the 3rd shower for instance. I let the home inspector for the company now for our annual walk through our kitchen sink trickles and no one has come to fix it. Anyway, what safety precautions should we make regarding this mold issue?

Fiancee threw out the rug and the ottoman. The rec room has all our kids toys. Are we supposed to toss everything? Is the rental company supposed to clean everything for us? I plan to email them today and at the very least get a plastic tarp to block off the basement and get anything really important and move it to the garage, like photos etc.

also we have renters insurance...not sure if mold is covered or not...

we want out of here but just signed the 1 year lease, not sure what we can do, any help or advice appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
220 Posts
We had a mold issue in an apartment a couple years ago. We had a baby that was 7 months so I was freaked. Our lease was about up so we actually moved out that day. Our landlord was the worst too! I'm not sure what state you are in or if it matters, but in California, where I am, you can break lease at any time if you feel you are in an unsafe environment. I would have used that if our lease wasn't up anyway. My baby and I were having health problems that made a lot more sense after we found the mold.
Ours was in a closet so we lost some clothes.
Any hard toys I would soak in bleach. Soft toys, washing machine with vinegar. (If they smelled moldy before the wash, I would toss, not worth the risk imo)
I would wear a mask before cleaning anything because you are pregnant. Or better yet someone else clean it.

But it is a very unsafe environment for pregnant women and children to be around some molds so I would be looking for a way to break lease.

Also take pictures!!

We did and were planning on using them if she with held any deposit. You could probably even break lease if they aren't fixing things. If you pay rent, you are paying for those things to work, if they're not willing to fix it, then you can leave.

Oh also tell your ob and pediatricians so they can watch you and your kids.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had a mold issue in an apartment a couple years ago. We had a baby that was 7 months so I was freaked. Our lease was about up so we actually moved out that day. Our landlord was the worst too! I'm not sure what state you are in or if it matters, but in California, where I am, you can break lease at any time if you feel you are in an unsafe environment. I would have used that if our lease wasn't up anyway. My baby and I were having health problems that made a lot more sense after we found the mold.
Ours was in a closet so we lost some clothes.
Any hard toys I would soak in bleach. Soft toys, washing machine with vinegar. (If they smelled moldy before the wash, I would toss, not worth the risk imo)
I would wear a mask before cleaning anything because you are pregnant. Or better yet someone else clean it.

But it is a very unsafe environment for pregnant women and children to be around some molds so I would be looking for a way to break lease.

Also take pictures!!

We did and were planning on using them if she with held any deposit. You could probably even break lease if they aren't fixing things. If you pay rent, you are paying for those things to work, if they're not willing to fix it, then you can leave.

Oh also tell your ob and pediatricians so they can watch you and your kids.
thanks so much for the reply, both my ds and fiance have known mold allergies. they are on allergy meds now, me and the younger ones aren't mold sensitive, at least not severe. Fiance has been taking pictures. This is super stressful timing as we are getting married in 6 weeks! Fiance is not keen on moving and i have no idea if we could get out so fast without switching schools.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh man! Congrats on the baby and the wedding though!
What color is the mold? None of it is good for you, but black can be very very bad. If it was any color other black I would just clean it up and allow better air circulation.
But if it's black do everything you can to get out. Even if that means staying in a hotel while they fix it and having the landlord reimburse you, which you can insist upon.
I was a SAHM when we discovered it and I had felt so sick before and my dd had been having horrible rashes. You should look up mold symptoms and see if anything sounds familiar too.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks green and black and now one of us has a head to toe rash. One has a bad cough, one is getting dizzying headaches and ones nasal allergies are acting worse

·
Registered
488 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but we are having a similar problem currently. Kids and I have been sick since September with all kinds of upper respiratory viral things. I just got over a sinus infection and bronchitis that required antibiotics. I was sick over a month. We discovered our mold problem a few weeks ago (mainly yellow mold with some black mold too). Landlords are dragging their feet re: fixing the problem. We do not have a lease with them, so we can leave at any time, but weren't prepared to do so until late spring. If, after Christmas, nothing has been done we will be looking for a new place.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they never came to fix or look at anything I got fed up and just steam cleaned it myself. We don't go downstairs to the basement anymore and our moldy furniture is just sitting down there. we are going to try and get a dumpster rental or bulk pick up in a few weeks and get rid of a lot of stuff.

We did sign a lease which isn't up until july. Our dishwasher has been broken for about 4 weeks now and no word on when they may replace it. Our dryer busted this week. that is actually our responsibility to replace. We are trying to buy a home and started the process up after inspection of the potential home have decided it has too many foundation issues so we are still sitting here waiting and we wasted money on the inspection but the last thing we want to do is buy a home that will turn into a money pit right away.

I don't know if there is anyway in our right minds we would renew in july if they do not get us a dishwasher but the idea of moving into another rental makes my skin crawl. We don't know what we will do and we until may to figure it it out since they want a 60 day notice for moving out (OF COURSE)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up having a miscarriage a week after finding the mold. Not sure if it is related but i have my theories

1 - 8 of 8 Posts