Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cross-posting this from Breastfeeding Challenges because I thought this board might get more traffic. Hope that's okay.

I am seriously about to write my 13-month-old a 1-way ticket to Wean Town. I totally had plans to nurse her until 2, but OMG I AM SO OVER IT. She is biting me, and it is making me INSANE.

Up until recently, we've had a great nursing relationship, and I've really cherished it. And then the biting started. I don't think it's a teething thing, as she has a mouth full of them and cut her first several months ago. At first, she would do it when the flow slowed down, and she was getting bored at the breast. I would always pull her off immediately, give her a loud NO BITE, and set her on the floor. Then button up, and walk away. Which of course would upset her to no end, but whatever kid, you just freaking BIT me, good luck finding pity around here.

So I've been on hyper alert, waiting for the next bite every time we nurse. It sucks, because I used to be able to completely relax while nursing, and it was such a sweet time between the two of us. Not anymore, thanks to Fang. And I'm all tense, and it makes me take longer to let down, which makes her more inclined to bite, and it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, today she drew blood. TWICE. Y'all, I have HAD IT. Seriously, this hurts like a mutha. I don't want to wean my baby, but I am scared to nurse her now. And NO WAY am I letting her anywhere near my poor maimed boob. So at bedtime this evening, I attempted to let her nurse on the other one, the one she hasn't shredded yet, and SHE BIT ME ON THAT ONE. OMG!!!!!!

What the hell? I have no idea what to do with this kid. I do all of the things you're supposed to do when a kid bites - end the nursing session immediately, give a firm NO BITE, etc. And the two times she bit and drew blood today, I let out a blood-curdling scream, and it scared the heck out of the kid. Which you would think would make an impression, but APPARENTLY NOT.

So what to do? I don't think I can nurse her again on the shredded boob until it heals, but now I don't want to nurse her anymore EVER. I can't believe I'm wanting to wean, but I can't handle being bitten anymore! Breastfeeding totally SUCKS for me now.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this, if it got better, what you did, if it's just a phase, etc.

Please SOMEBODY HELP ME. I HATE THIS.

-Betsy

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I have a biter.
:

Only thing that seems to work for her is if i keep my finger in the corner of her mo uth and shove in there as soon as i feel her clamping down. Nowadays, just keeping my finger there seems to remind her of what I'm about to do if she bites.

I still haven't figured out how to convey that it *hurts*.

Oh and yeah, I've had plenty blood drawn. Crazy stuff. I have one yellow shirt that accidentally got washed before being pretreated and it's covered in blood spots all over the inside.
: Soaking in epsom salts seems to help me recover faster, both with the bruises and the swelling when there's a wound. Just put about a tablespoon in about a cup of warm water, in a bowl and lean over the table and soak.. it looks hilarious but it works.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I guess I can't complain about my little one's bite today, no blood, just a nasty bruise and some scratched skin.

I can completely understand why you would be ready to say that's it. I would be there too. It's amazing to me how quickly pain can make you want to give up.

I think that the other thread that the PP has a link for has some good ideas. I know you say it can't be teething but... Don't dismiss it. Molars might be coming in at this age and sucking will aggravate the gums. In my experience teething has always been the culprit. DD would bight and squeeze really hard. I think I was getting the gum pain and can't get the milk to flow right combo. My 14 month old just cut a molar (2 days ago) and the other three gums are red and swollen. I'm not that surprised he's biting (just really annoyed). FTR this episode of biting started about 2 weeks ago.

I don't know that I have been successful at preventing or stopping the biting. Both kids just stop when the irritated gums stop. I tried "No bite!", putting the child down for a few minutes, handing the child off to daddy, offering food or a cup or a teething toy. Nothing was a magic bullet. Sometimes a little Tylenol helped. Especially right before a marathon nurse down for a nap or at night.

A little mom to mom tip: Lansinoh! It really helps sooth nipple pain while nursing (no need to remove it before latching on) and helps speed healing. I would never have thought a little lanolin could be so effective but it is! Use just a pea size bit each time. A little goes a loooooooong way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My third DD is 13 months and does the same thing. I swear there have been times when I've thought I would look down and see my nipple hanging off and blood spurting. Seriously! My oldest used to bite, but a firm "No biting!" and unlatching her would usually work. My second would bite and just bawl and bawl if I took her off the breast. I don't know who was more traumatized... me for being bit or her from stopping her nursing. This last one is more like my second one. She just bawls like you just took everything in her world away when I unlatch her. Part of the problem is she doesn't want to nurse in the traditional nursing position. She wants to stand, lean over, lay over my chest, dance, shake her butt, and everything. She can't be still!
As a result, she usually clamps down and pulls out because she's doing something else at the same time. OMG the pain!!!!!!!

Sorry I don't have any answers, but I really have sympathy!

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
"No bite" never worked for us at all.

Dd thought me screaming was H.I.L.A.R.I.O.U.S.

The only thing that worked was pulling her into the breast so she couldn't breathe. She would have to let go. I would then continue nursing and just do it every time she bit down.

It made her *really* mad but it worked.

FWIW my dd still has a strange sense of humor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.