Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this laziness or a developmental delay?

My 5-year-old son, who will turn 6 in October this year, is still asking for help with eating. I don't mean helping to cut meat smaller, which I would help him with. I mean I put his food in his bowl and he has a fork or a spoon, and instead of eating it like the rest of the family, he brings his bowl to me and asks me to help him eat. He's been doing this for months (longer than I've been pregnant, so I don't think it's related to having a new baby sister/regression) and I'm fed up and don't want to help him anymore, but then the risk is he won't eat at meal times and he's picky enough that that could be a problem. Even his four-year-old sister, less than a year younger than my son, has been feeding herself with fork and spoon for at least a year (putting the food on the fork or spoon and bringing it up to her mouth) which is why I'm wondering if my son is just being lazy. Have you ever seen a child this old act so helpless? Am I being too hard on him, or is he being unreasonable? :bang

I'm not the only person he asks, so it isn't behavior he only exhibits around me. When I won't help him, he asks his older brother. I haven't asked my mother-in-law yet if he does this to her at her house. And he does this with practically everything, whether it's soup, rotini with meat sauce, or anything else except finger food (which, oddly enough, he sometimes eats with a fork and knife - he eats grilled cheese this way instead of just picking it up).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts