Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breast feeding my 3 month old son. His Dad has such a hard time feeding him a bottle while I'm at work. We have tried changing bottles. We are going to try switching formulas. I pump breast milk at work but it isn't enough to last the whole night while I am at work. Any suggestions?? Also any suggestions of how to increase breast milk supply? I have tried fenugreek , Blessed Thistle and Mothers Milk Tea. Nothing is working. My supply has went down alot since returing to work. (I work 10 hour shifts.) PLEASE PLEASE give me all the ideas you have ladies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I babysat my friend's baby and she was the same way. I used only one type of bottle and it just took time and patience, she didn't know how to suck from a bottle.
Instead of sitting down to feed her, I used to carry her and rock her while trying to get her to drink from the bottle. If she got to cranky I would stop and comfort her and then try again. I knew she wasn't going to starve. It took a week or two but she got. Now she is 2 1/2 yrs. old and still nursing.
Now about increasing your supply I don't know that much because that happened to me but unlike you I didn't get any help. Just try to find a relaxing place where to pump and don't look at the bottle while pumping. Bring photos of you ds to look at while pumping. I found this great articles that maybe can help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19a-domperidone1.html

P.S.: I forgot to mention that you should be using a double breast pump like the one from Medela.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. We've definately btdt. Have you tried looking through the working mamas forum? Its a subforum under parenting and they may have good advice too.

I had a brief working stint when my Ds was quite young and he too didn't like bottles. It was hard. It helped a lot when:
a) DH started offering before Ds got really hungry, offering even before hunger cues sometimes. When he wasn't worked up he took the bottle easier. He ended up eating smaller amounts more often, but it saved them both from meltdowns.
b) Ds changed his nipple preferences over time from the orthodontic nuk (easier to latch onto when he was smaller) to Dr. Browns but we used the same bottles (Medela) always. We borrowed nipples from friends to try it out and always used a slow flow nipple so Ds wasn't getting too much milk.
c)Ds started reverse cycling so we nursed for most of his nutrition at night and ate less during the day. This occured even after just a few days of my working. It meant I had less sleep myself, but Dh and Ds had fewer feedings together during the day. It sounds like you work nights, so try tanking up all day.
d) We're now off bottles so DH brings Ds to me to nurse, or we all just go together. I nurse on breaks or even during meetings if its appropriate. Could you manage even one nursing session together?
e) Dh made sure the bottle was the right temperature, closer to the body temp of breastmilk
f) I ate a lot of chocholate chip oatmeal cookies to get in my oatmeal and that made a big difference (they're easier to carry around). Mother's Milk tea worked for me but it took a few tries, I hadn't been steeping the bags long enough (I think they reccomend 10min) and also drinking enough (2 BIG mugs a day)
g) Ds takes medicine mixed with BM from a syringe, we always held in reserve the idea he could get some BM that way and it might be enough to calm him down to try the bottle again or over time enough to get small meals that way.

A few more ideas we didn't use ourselves but might help you:
a) mix the formula and breastmilk so there isn't such a contrast in flavor. I don't know if I'd try switching formulas, it seems lots of kids have negative reactions to the changes but I don't have experience there myself.
b) I don't know if you have the freedom to do this at work but play around with how you pump. some women get a lot more milk pumping for 5min every 60-90min, others with one big pumping session every 3 hours.
c) try different pumps. I managed to get waaaaay more milk using a hand pump and doing one side at a time than I ever did with my hospital grade rented dual pump. I mean 4-6oz per side vs. 2-3oz and in about the same time [5-8min a side for the hand pump vs. 15min for the dual electric pump]. I don't know if the difference was the suction or doing one side at a time but boy was I glad I tried it. There was a learning curve for using both pumps but whew, that hand pump saved us.
d) Try alternatives to the bottle like cup feeding. Haven't tried it myself, but you could certainly find info about it at MDC and elsewhere.

Good luck and hugs to you all
Working and nursing is hard work.

ETA: I noticed I have a random red thumbs down up on top of my post and I don't know how it got there. It really doesn't mean anything, I promise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey ladies thanks for the advice. I've noticed you all use abbreviations like dh dd ds what does this mean?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan77
I've noticed you all use abbreviations like dh dd ds what does this mean?
Dear husband, dear daughter, dear son ... or if you're mad at them, the "d" could stand for something else

-Joan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Drink lots of water. Like at least 3 liters. This seemed to increase my supply. I also ate oatmeal every morning. I had the same problem with my husband having a hard time getting my daughter to drink from the bottle. We tried many different bottles that were to help with breast to bottle feeding (Dr. Brown's wide neck, Advent wide neck) But she instantly liked Gerber's "NUK", she won't take to any other fake nipple. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts