Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went in to the dentist this morning and had a wisdom tooth pulled, he used like 6 shots to numb me Lidocain and septacain I believe. My face is still slightly numb, not like it was this morning but still that loss of sensation , I also can't smell and taste things. This can't be normal. Dose any one know what the heck is up?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
This is a not-too-uncommon side effect that the dentist really should have told you about before pulling the tooth!

Not to alarm you, but what I was told by my oral surgeon (who is taking out all 4 of my wisdom teeth on Monday
) is that nerves can get damaged when wisdom teeth are removed. This happens, she said, about 3% of the time. This results in numbness and/or tingling that is usually--but not always--temporary. The older you are, apparently, the more likely the damage is to be permanent.

Have you called your dentist to tell him what is going on and to ask what you should do?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Assuming you are normal, wathc out for the aftereffects of the drugs. I slept for about 3 days after getting mine out and only got out of bed after dh dragged me out of the house.lol I felt awful after. I hope you are not in the 3% percent permanent catergory!!!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu
I hope you are not in the 3% percent permanent catergory!!!!
Just to clarify: It's not that 3% of people have permanent nerve damage. It's that 3% of people have nerve damage after extraction. Only a tiny percentage (sorry, I have no exact #) of that 3% group experiences permanent effects.

Also, I forgot to say that the nerve damage only comes from removal of lower wisdom teeth, not upper. So if you got an upper tooth removed, that's definitely not what's going on!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I think it was after effects of the anesthesia cause I feel mostly normal today, just a little numbness. Although I feel like my head got hit by a baseball bat and its still bleeding slightly.
My dentist explained nothing except for shoving a form for me to sign when I was hopped up on laughing gas so I have no idea what I signed. Nice huh?

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Wow. There are some real quacks out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope that the problems with the numbness have resolved by now. It is not uncommon to have nerve damage or bruising when having injections or oral surgey. The numbness usually will go away in a month or two. In rare occasions the numbness can be permanent. I always recommend that wisdom teeth be removed with iv sedation. You will be more comfortable and probably would not need so many injections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.