Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my vegetable garden became overrun with this weird grass-like weed. I say grass-like, because it looks a grass, but it has a small bulb like root when pulled. It also has a slightly spicy smell to it - especially the root section.

Last year I was on bedrest and couldn't weed, so it really ran amok, but this spring I flipped everything - but that didn't matter and it's back with a vengeance. How the heck do I get rid of this stuff? And what do you think it is?

ARGH!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like the same stuff we have popping up here, my theory is that it rode in on some compost. I've never seen it anywhere in my yard until I did the veggie garden, and it's everywhere that I composted.

pull, pull, tug, tug, that's all I've done with it.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It could be wild onions. We had them everywhere in our yard although after 4 months I've gotten most of them! I don't know if wild onions are the same thing as scallions or green onions, but that's exactly what mine look like.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I took a plant of the weirdo grass to a local garden shop and the man said, it's nutsedge. He then asked, "did you by any chance get compost at place X?" Yes, I replied, "they don't screen it very well and tons of weeds grow from it". I knew it, I knew I'd never seen the beast before and that it rode in on compost.

He said we had to dig it all out because their is a bulb with hundreds of seeds under the soil. ugh! Oh and it never got big enough to have the top leafs that I see in online pictures, still short and spicy grass like.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Oh thank you for this thread - same thing is happening to us in a flower garden and because we just bought our house last fall we figured it must have been a flower that we didn't happen to notice. Now I can rip it all out without worrying about it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.