Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I'm pregger (due in March) and am still nursing my 11 mo ds (and LOVING it!) - please please tell me there are other nursing pregger mamas that did just fine and did not miscarry! I really need to hear some positive news/encouragement in this area! (So many are saying I HAVE to wean!)

Thanks!
Ellie

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got pregnant with my second when my first was 14 months old. She nursed for the first 6 months of my pregnancy, but she stopped when she was about 20 months. I think my milk had mostly dried up and was starting to turn to colostrum. She had been nursing every 1-2 hours up until she weaned herself. It was an amazing and peaceful transition, but I still am sad I didn't get to nurse her longer.

Check out the book: Adventures in Tandem Nursing, if you can find it. It has great info on nursing while pregnant.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Congrats!
I'm preg and still nursing DD who is 15 Months

I've heard great things about the tandem book, I need to get a copy!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The uterus isn't generally receptive to oxytocin (which is elevated during nursing) until the third trimester. You also release oxytocin during/after sex and most women don't give that up during pregnancy. If you have a history of miscarriage or pre-term labor, you may want to ask your OB about this, but for the vast majority of women, nursing during pregnancy is not dangerous to the pregnancy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I never nursed while pregnant but I have a friend who nursed while pregnant with twins and although her milk dried up during her pregnancy she continued to nurse and is now nursing 3!!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Nursing doesn't cause miscarriages. So just tell those people to go do their research before making claims like that.

I had a preterm birth (29 weeks) with my first, and I still nursed him up until 2 weeks ago when he self-weaned because he got a big boy bed and really liked it and didn't want mama milk anymore.
I was 21 weeks at the time he stopped nursing. My milk had pretty much gone earlier than that, but he was still nursing, and was getting colustrum just before he weaned.

So even with a history of preterm birth, I still didn't miscarry, and I didn't go into preterm labor either.
(could later on, but it wouldn't be caused by nursing, obviously!)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I wanted to first say congrats risen_joy. I remember you from nursing mamas ttc. I wanted to say that I had the exact same concerns as you. I know part of it was seeing women come back to our ttc thread after their m/c and they questioned nursing. I'm at 10 weeks now and doing fine. I did talk to mw about it, and she told me not to worry. I like what a pp said about sex also causing the release of oxytocin, and people don't abstain during their first trimester.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts