Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD who will be 6 months chronological on Nov. 15th, has a bad (well I call it bad, lol) cold.

She is not breast fed...(sorry mamas, I am a pumping drop out) is on Neosure, is not vax'd.

What can I do to ease her discomfort? (although she is in good spirits, still laughing and smiling!) She just keeps caughing and sounds like she's got a lot of congestion going on.

Any advice?

TIA!!!

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Hang in there mama! If she is feeling fine, maybe she will be ok. Sometimes its harder on mama than the baby but I hope this is as far as it goes.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hang in there. Use a humidifier if it's croup going out into the cold weather for a few minutes will help and then into a steamy bathroom. I would have her checked just to be careful and rule out rsv. Since rsc season has started.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree with PP on taking her to the doc to rule out RSV, if you're not getting her the Synagis vax.

The humidifier and steam suggestions are good ones. Another thing that helped DD in her colds was to hold her upright while sleeping so her sinuses could drain. Lack of sleep made her miserable and kept the bug in her system even longer.

Good luck getting through it! Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Use nasal saline to wet her nose passages, then use a bulb syringe and "suck her brains out" She'll feel better when she can breathe easier.

Baby Vicks rub worked well.

I'm going to third on the ped eval for RSV.

HTH

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
yep, adding my voice to the chorus of rsv-ruler outers
Rusty ( my 5 week old, whow as 6 weeks early) was diagnoed with RSV earlier this week, and I wouldn't have guessed that was what it was because he really isn't having chest symptoms. His nose is very stuffy and junky, but he;s not coughing at all. But I'm so glad that I had him checked, they did the snot test and it is definitely RSV, so we've started neb treatments and so far, so good - no hospital stay!! So, I'd get it checked out because if it is RSV you can get ahead of it before it gets bad.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And it's not RSV...just a nasty cold.

His prescription? Saline drops to be put in nose, then sucked out...and a humidifier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.