Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very sore throat. It started suddenly on Friday evening, and has gotten worse in spite of all the natural way I have to treat it. Normally when I get a cold, I get a sore throat, but the pain is soothed by home remedies. My husband just got over strep, so I figured that's what I had. I have a red, swollen throat and whitish spots on the back and side of my throat. It hurts so much to swallow that I go around spitting out my saliva. Sunday evening, my husband's throat got pretty bad again. His uvula swelled and we both went into the urgent care facility this morning.

He's gone back there several times since he finished his course of antibiotics and his throat still hurt. The doctor told him that his extremely sore throat was a result of post nasal drip, and to take 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. He's been doing that for several weeks.

So this morning we both went to the urgent care place. They did the last rapid strep test on me and it was negative. They had to send his out to a lab. Oh, how I wish they had sent mine out instead.

My extremely sore throat with pimples, fatigue, chills, rapid heartbeat and difficulty climbing stairs are all due to post nasal drip. I am soo freaking angry. I was crying in the car on the way home and I'm crying now. I don't take antibiotics likely, but there is something wrong with me! Why in the hell would I go to the doctor for a sore throat if I didn't think it was serious? I had a home birth with a 11 lb 6 oz baby with a 15" head and had to get 10 stitches from the tearing, so I think I can handle a little pain, for gods sake. I almost never go to the doctor except for check ups, and I've lived in this place for over 2 years and haven't been.

So what could it be? I think it could still be strep. I guess it could be mono. Or bacterial tonsillitis although most of my tonsils are gone. I have a bit more flesh on my right side, and that is where the pain and white spots first showed up. That area swelled up and everything has since spread.

I've tried eating raw cloves of garlic until I'm ready to heave. I feel like they burned a hole in my tongue. Normally if I have a sore throat, this takes away most of it in a day or so. I've used tea tree oil, cayenne/ginger tea, raw honey, yogurt and acidophilous capsules. I would have tried grapefruit seed extract, but I can't find any here. I also tried a homeopathic remedy, which I guess is stupid on top of all the other stuff I've tried. Maybe I've tried too much.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
All I can say is get UMCKA now! teh stuff is a miracle for any bronchial infections, I SWARE by it now! Here is a good description: http://www.herbalremedies.com/umcka.html

I have used Umcka Cold Care, Original Concentrate Liquid Drops - 1 fl. oz.(30ml), easy to find at health stores and even some pharmacies now. I had YEARS of strep and tonsilitis-horrid. This and Quercetin complex (b/c I feel it is allergy induced) have been my miracle cure. Antibiotics made it all sooooo much worse!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Amywillo, sounds exactly like what I had about 2 months ago. It, and the slowly subsiding symptoms lasted a month. no kidding. I wonder what kind of strange virus it is??? hope you can get better.

Laura

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information about things to take. We don't have a lot of health stores here, but we do have a locally owned herb shop I'm going to try.

I went back to the doctor the next day and they did the culture where they grow it for 2 or 3 days. It turned out positive for strep. By that time, the sore throat was mostly gone.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had lots of luck with Echinacea, Goldenseal, Propolis throat spray made by Gaia Herbs. Burns like heck for a sec then your throat is numb. Last time I had a sore blistery throat that just wouldnt seem to heal using the spray every 20 minutes took care of it pronto.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Astralagus with a fever isn't a good idea. I take massive amounts of acidophilus when I have a sore throat. Horehound drops are soothing too. I know it isn't exactly herbal , okay it isn't at all , but popsicles are wonderful when you have sore throat. They numb it. I'd use the 100% fruit ones or make your own out of tea. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I make a gargle by boiling 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp tumeric and 1/2 tsp salt for 2 min and cooling. Tumeric wicks up into the sinuses as well and helps that.

I'm just getting over one of the worst sore throats of my life and gargled with grapefruit seed extract in water and that seemed to help. I was deparate- don't know if this is a real remedy.

Also used a neti pot to help the sinus part. Hope you are feeling better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts