Mothering Forum banner

What should we name our baby

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we don't know if this baby is a boy or a girl. We have a boys name that we both like. Girls names are another story. We each have one that we like but don't like the others name and can't find a third one that we like. So we are putting it up to the internet. You all get to vote and which ever one gets the most vote will be her name, if in deed she is a she.

BTW we already have a Gage, Kennedy and Emerson

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I voted for Hadley but I'm confused, are these your boy names or girl names? They both seem like boy names to me or last names.

Hadley is a town right near here so I wouldn't use it here, but I've known three boys named that.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
This has strangely been bugging me all morning. Not the names, which I admit are just totally not my taste (don't like surname names that much on boys, let alone on girls, I really thought that somehow you put up your boy names) but the fact that you and your husband don't both like the names. I really would go back to the drawing board and find ones you both like rather than just picking one and having the other person not like it.

Are Kennedy and Emerson both girls? (Gage too?) I think you can find some other similar names that you would both like I think. Many people like these kind of names and so there are a lot around, would be happy to offer suggestions, and maybe something that sort of fits your family through a family name or meaning?

Some other that are used on girls sometimes:

Delaney
Waverly
Lindsay
Avery
Arden
Linden (also a really pretty tree)
Ashton
Fallon
Peyton
Quinlan
Ridley
Taylor

Forgive me if you really don't want suggestions, it just seemed so divisive having only one parent like the name.

(and you know I had to feel strongly about it to give suggestions of surnames for girls, are you sure we couldn't interest you in a nice Theodora or Genevieve or Aliza?
)

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
They both strike me as boy names, last names, and frankly, unnatractive names (sorry). But seeing that your other children already have last names as first names, either choice would fit in to your family. I guess I would go for Hadley. Ripley has connotations (for me) of the scheming sociopath in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and also of "believe it or not."

·
Registered
935 Posts
I voted Ripley. There's a character in The Upside of Anger with that name - and I liked that film quite a bit.

Ripley, believe it or not... She'd get that constantly. Plus I think crass teenage boys could do something really inappropriate with the name. Maybe I just knew a lot of crass boys growing up, but...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Honestly, I don't like either name, particularly not for a girl.

But if you're really sold on those two, I lean a bit more towards ripley.
though that being said, it makes me think of two things, in this order:
Ripley's Believe it or Not
Ripley from Aliens

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I voted for Hadley, I think it's interesting and cute. I also immediately thought of Ripley's Believe it or not, so the association sort of made me lean toward Hadley.

ETA: I think either one seems to go well with the names you already have

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ripley makes me think of Halloween, and I can only imagine the poor girl getting a nickname of RIP or the walking dead, or something terrible like that...kids can be mean...
I voted Hadley

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thank you ladies for proving my point for me. DH just loves Ripley and I can't stand it. He keeps saying "what's wrong with Ripley" Anyway he put it on his board (plowsite.com, yes they have one for snow plowing ) and they all said just about what you guys said.

We are still praying for a boy so that hopefully this won't even be an issue, but thanks for you help!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.