Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've decided my family needs to eat healthier and I bought a bunch of fruits and veggies today at the grocery store. I wanted to know if I'm storing them properly so they stay good and fresh. I know that some produce shouldn't be stored together and some should but I'm not sure what. So if I list what I put where, I was hoping someone could tell me if it's good or if there is a better way. Thanks!

veggie drawer in fridge:
carrots, celery, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes

fruit drawer in fridge:
apples, oranges, peaches, blueberries, grapes, cherries

fridge (ran out of room in the drawers):
spinach, bagged salad, bell peppers and strawberries

pantry:
Russet and Red Cream potatoes

bowls on the counter:
lemons, limes and bananas

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
It all looks good except tomatoes should not be refrigerated because they lose flavor. If you must refrigerate them (e.g. because otherwise they'll go bad), you should leave them out to come to room temp before eating. Lemons and limes can be refrigerated if you want to keep them longer.

Also, if your fruit starts going bad you can freeze it for smoothies.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I also like to use those fruit/veggie bags. I have great luck with them. They have tiny perferated holes in them to let out moisture. I use them all the time and can keep veggies 3X longer then without them. I don't like having to buy fruit and veggies every day or two, I like to buy for the week. I try re-use them so I'm not alway throwing out plastic bags.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with everything else the others have said and would like to add that it seems to me leafy stuff (lettuce, greens, etc.) seem to last longer for me in the drawer than just laying on the shelves. I just got a new refrigerator and in the manual (yes, I know I am the only one in the world that actually reads those things
) it says greens like high humidity so that may be why. The only problem I have found is out of sight, out of mind!! I really need to make sure I eat leafy stuff soon or I will forget it is in there!

The fruit/veggie bags are also a great idea. I use some green ones that I bought at a health store a few years back. I have also seen them at Earth Fare. I think one of the big companies (Glad?) makes a veggie bag - I feel like I have seen commercials for them. I haven't tried them but I think they would be nice because I think they have a zip top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.