Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and my left breast hurt a very small amount. I thought to myself that I might be developing a bleb or something. I looked and there were no red patches on it.

We have houseguests, so we were walking around town playing tour guides. As the day progressed, my breast started hurting more and more. In a very short space of time, it went from barely noticeable to extremely painful. Now the whole bottom of the breast in the area where the bottom crease is is rock hard. It's agonizing. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

I have been trying to nurse my baby but she doesn't seem that interested. At the same time, she got really really grouchy and almost inconsolable, which is unusual. Now I think she was hungry. I was only feeding her off the left one to try to clear the blockage, and now I think that it's giving her absolutely nothing. I have since given her the right one and she's happy again. I just tried pumping the left one and got about 4 drops. I had it on full strength for a good 10 minutes.

I don't have any of that homeopathic remedy that is suitable for blockages (the name escapes me now) and there's nowhere to get it in this city on a weekday, let alone on a Sunday, which is why I don't have it in the first place. I am trying hot washclothes and nursing as much as possible, but my baby isn't cooperating because she isn't getting anything. I'm extremely concerned that I'm going to have mastitis by the morning. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
796 Posts
For today I would just treat it like it is mastitis. Stay in bed with baby all day and nurse and rest ONLY. Drink tons of fluids and eat really good food. Eat lots of garlic cause lots of times babies like the taste of momma milk after mom eats garlic. Get a crock pot and fill it with several warm cloths so you can change them regularly without getting up. You can put the cloths in a baggy so your clothes dont get wet, and massage the breast.
I dont know if you have it, but echinacea works really well for mastitis ~ oh and Vitamin C 1000mg every couple of hours with vitamin A and zinc.
Best of luck.... I'm hurting for you..

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am doing much better today. Yesterday evening, I continued to not be able to get my baby to nurse on the breast. I believe that she wasn't getting anything at all out of it. We have one of those boiling water taps and my husband heated up a washcloth with that. I did about 5 compresses with that throughout the evening and then it was bedtime. I was extremely pleased when she took the left boob for bedtime and nursed to sleep on that one, so it not only got nursed, but got a good 20 minutes. She's usually a speed eater if it's not a sleepy boob.

After that, I started feeling better and the boob got softer. I still have a good sized lump deep in the breast, but it's no longer lumpy and misshapen, and while it still is very bruised feeling, it's no longer excrutiating to have it touched.

So thank you all! Now I need to get some of that phytolacca so I'll have it on hand for next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.