Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cloth diapered ds from birth, mostly with ME OS and Sandys, so I have lots of diapers. I'm tempted by all the cute small sized diapers by WAHM's that I missed out on using the first time around. Plus, I only used the OS when ds was tiny and all those extra folds and snaps don't seem very conducive to ec'ing.<br><br>
So my question is--if starting ec from birth, what is the best system to start out with? I'm thinking maybe AIO's, at least for outings, will be quickest? Maybe prefolds with no cover for at home? When do you switch over from diapers to infant underpants--or do you start with those right away? Or no diapers/undies at all at home to begin with? I realize everyone will do it a little differently, but just want to make sure I'm on the right track.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
We used prefolds and covers at first, which was slow on and off. Early on the slow on and off isn't such a big deal. They go very often and you will have them go in diapers. If the baby starts to go in the diaper and finishes on the potty, then you communicated and that's a catch. When they get bigger easy on and off or the ability to pull the pants down for changes is more important. We switched to training pants around 8 months.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Starting when we got home from the hospital (babe was in the NICU for 12 days, we did abbreviated ECing there, had to use sposies per protocol), I used fitted dipes/ training pants around the house (mostly ones I made), some prefolds for nakey time (with the baby on the diaper instead of the diaper on the baby, though I always snappied one on during nursing cause he always pooped then and it got on everything) and aio's for going out. I still pretty much do this now at almost 6 mo, though he rarely poops during nursing anymore. Stay dry dipes are not conducive to ECing, so stay away from those except at times when you can't change immediately, like car rides or at night (unless you will EC at night, which we don't cause I suck at it and cause my babes don't pee until very early in the morning) I only use covers when we're out or at night. um, I think that's it. Have as many dipes/pants as you would usually need to do full-time CDing, at least for the first size or 2. Once you get better at it and the babe's bladder capacity increases, you'll need fewer but to start you often use more than you think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts