Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nakx2 - forgive typos

dd#1 wants to nurse w/newborn every time. i'm ok with it but positioning is hard. newborn was almost 11lbs when born and is now bigger. i am large breasted and have to support breast for newborn but then other one is being hurt by toddler's teeth. i am nursing so much that both are havinf bf poop...sigh...any thoughts? suooprt? tia!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My best suggestion is that you keep experimenting with how everyone is positioned and work on DD1's nursing "manners". I find teeth marks with my DD1 are more of a problem if we are watching TV and her head is turned away from me. But sometimes its just the sheer length of time and the sense that she is "working it" pretty hard, especially since I try to put DD2 on the full side so DD1 oftentimes is a little frustrated.

The best spot for the 3 of us is a recliner where DD1 can sit on the arm of the chair. I use a boppy and a small pillow on top of that for DD1, usually with her in a clutch hold so she can't get at DD1's hair and so that DD1 doesn't use her as a pillow.

Good luck. ~Cath

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im not sure how old dd1 is, but when we had a newborn and dd1 nursed nonstop with baby and tried to "fight" for the breast (she always wanted whichever one the nb was on), I decided to attempt a 10 second rule;
: I would allow her to nurse for 10 seconds with the baby or right before, then she had to let the baby nurse. She could still be near us, and she liked to snuggle or hold the other breast or the babys hand. She was 2 years 4 months at the time. We had some days and or sessions where that just did not work, but in general it seemed to really help. THe nice thing for me about tandem nursing was if I was engorged or baby was having difficulty getting milk I could always count on dd1 to be able to help with it! Good luck, know that the first weeks and months usually are the hardest! I also agree with the other person about working out some nursing maanners if dd1 is old enough. Congratulations on tandem nursing.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
In our case, I chose to set some limits for dd, one of them being that I don't nurse dd and ds together. It just wasn't working for us. Offering to dd often when ds wasn't nursing helped some. I offered to do other things while ds was nursing, like read to dd. I also started limiting dd's time nursing by counting to five and then asking her to pop off. She seemed okay with that, too. Everything did settle down after a couple of months though, so hang in there!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about this. I had similar issues with teeth/positioning. Just keep fiddling with position and breathing deeply. Can you get someone to distract your toddler sometimes when you are nursing?

I had to sometimes tell my toddler that I couldn't nurse her right away. Boy, did that not go over well, but I tried to be honest and sympathetic and did my best.

Another thing that helped sometimes was to offer food to my toddler if she was nursing very hard. I'd start going through a list of foods until she'd nod her head "yes".

The counting thing never worked for us, but dd1 is very sensitive and was only 20 months when dd2 was born.

Hang in there, it does get easier!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses...and Nan's mom - my dd is also 20 mo so you know what it's like firsthand!
: I have been pretty adamant about nursing Kiera only after the baby is done during the day. I do let her have a loooong nurse and cuddle in the morning after waking up since the baby is usually satisfied at that point. I also have been getting engorged somewhat at night so it is such a relief to have a toddler empty the breasts for me so the baby doesn't drown!
The one time I let them nurse together consistently is before bed - but only if Kiera will not pop on and off - if she does then no matter how upset she is the session is over. It is so hard to tell he rno and listen to her cry but it is harder to deal with sore nipples and two nursing kiddos. She is beginning to ;earn "nursing manners" - that ;s what I keep telling myself...thanks again! off to nak - newborn knows I have been typing about mama milk!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts