Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once a week or so one of my nipples/areola will itch like crazy. I try to air it out and that stops the itch, but when I put any sort of fabric on top of it, the itching rages on. I do not scratch them ever, but I have tried shea butter and even expressing a tiny bit of colostrum and spreading it over the area. Both solutions are temporary and the crazy itching starts up minutes later. I'm wondering if I should get some organic nursing pads and just put them inside my bra for extra cushioning? I'm 6 months pregnant and this has been going on for about a month. Any suggestions for what to do? I'm going nuts because I look like a crazy person squirming around in public... I can't walk around with my hands in my bra!<br><br>
Oh; I don't use any soap when I shower, and my shampoo and conditioner are vegan. My laundry detergent is free of dyes, emzymes and other chemicals, so I don't think there's something I'm using that is causing this. My bras are 100% cotton, too.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Mine seem to itch mainly from being dry. I use moisturizer right after I shower. Sometimes they still itch a bit though (and not just the nipples - all over).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I had the same problem and still do at times. My midwife said you could use cortizone (SP?) cream. I think they just get dry and irritated. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
This drives me crazy. I've found nothing to stop it. Happened through much of my first pregnancy, through a lot of breastfeeding, and is happening again this pregnancy. Sometimes it's my whole breast, sometimes just the nipple. I never had thrush or anything, and I never found anything that helped. Sorry I'm no help, but I'm at least right there with you!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ugh, here too. I think it's just the colostrum getting started - that's what seems to be bothering me. I don't know what to do about it either, but you could try some kind of natural lotion like shea butter, maybe? Or if they don't seem dry, you could try soap, maybe there is a buildup of some kind from leaking colostrum?

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
ime it's a dry skin issue. I've actually gone with lanolin in the past - just a bit and I already had some on hand. I found it worked better than any moisturizer and lasted longer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - I think I'll try some lanolin after showering and as needed. We shall see... it's been two days now and I'm about to scratch my boob off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts