Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not every time, but several times in the last week. dd is 5 weeks old and refuses to be consoled when she wants to nurse... but she'll nurse so much that she overfills
I really don't want to use a pacifier, but don't know what else to try. AND its not just a little spitup either - yesterday she puked up enough to soak her outfit, my velour pants and underclothes, and a UBCPF I was using as a burp cloth. she's gaining fine and is otherwise a very happy baby. suggestions?
:

·
Registered
782 Posts
eeww, I'm having flashbacks of the smell! Now, from experience and a few other BF moms I know, our little ones puked all the time. Sometimes a little spit up and sometimes like the spewing you described. I am not an expert, but these BFed babies spit up alot. And my are they greedy with their milk! I can only say maybe to pull baby off, get some air, maybe a burp, and then back on. If there is alot of crying when you try that, maybe wait until the 'drunken stage'? Since she is still so little, I can think it will probably ease up as she gets a little older. My dad called my son Vomitus cause he puked all the time, everywhere. Sometimes it can't be helped, other times, for lack of better suggestions ( I apoplogize, but you are not alone) maybe not let her eat so much, maybe several smaller nursings?

Know that others have been there, have plenty of towels and wipes handy and good luck! I didn't use a pacifier either!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Now, don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember someone mentioning over nursing, and the vomiting, as a sign of reflux. From what I recall the baby will keep eating because it makes them feel better and then spit it all back up when it becomes too much for their tummies.

Might be something to keep in mind, not sure if it is a myth or not.

Hope it gets better soon!
MM

·
Registered
169 Posts
My ds has this same problem - beginning about week 2. I think based upon other symptoms it is due to reflux. If you look at Dr. Sears Baby Book there are several symptoms which mimic colick. I have just tried to keep him semi-upright when I nurse him and once I know he's overnursing and at the point where the milk is running out of his mouth (not even curdled b/c it's not in the stomach enough) I'll try to pace him by burping him regularly (he gets a lot of gas) walk him around and try a pacifier (I didn't want to use one either, but finally started to use it b/c of this and Dr. Sears says it can help with reflux due to the increased saliva production it causes.) or a finger for him to suck on for awhile. Then after about 15 - 20 minutes when I think his stomach has emptied some I'll let him nurse again. As much as I hate to see him spitting up more milk I don't mind letting him nurse when he's hurting b/c breastmilk is an antacid and soothes the hurting.

** Also, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding suggests keeping the baby on the same breast for 2 hour intervals (not switching from feeding to feeding) during these times. I guess this slows down the milk intake - I've done that as well, although sometimes it really upsets ds, and if he's hurting I kind of like him to get some milk to soothe his hurting.

I hope this helps - good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dd did this same thing! Ewww i remember the smell!

I had to finally figure out how much and how long she could nurse before she would do this.

Mine would throw eveything up and then would be hungry again and i wouldn't have enough the second time around.

Mine did grow out of this!

Good Luck!

Sue

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions ladies.

I only nurse on one side at a time at three hour stretches - I have a great supply (am trying to be a donor for the local milk bank and I've been pumping/freezing about 4-7 oz per day from one 5 minute pump session).

I will try the keeping her more upright during and after nursing. Hopefully it will help.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Roman is a spit up king too. He's 6 weeks now and we've decided we don't have a medical problem. We have a laundry problem. lol

my girls never had any sort of reflux so is new to me. I've taken the advice given to you above and it seems to work for us. I burp him alot then continue n ursing. i try to sit him upright more often.
I watch what I eat. I allow him to sleep on his tummy (gasp. i know. but it works for us and we cosleep)

and i always have several ucpf's handy. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.