Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please! I'm 6 weeks pregnant right now and have been taking prometrium for low progesterone for 1.5 weeks now. When I had it tested at 15dpo it was 13, then at 17dpo it was 11.9 - at 27 dpo after prometrium it was 34.

I have a dr. Appt Monday, but will run out of prometrium on Sunday. When I called for a refill the nurse said I don't have to take it any more since my level was nice and high??? I asked her a bunch of questions and she said she would check with the dr. and call me back. I was just sure she was incorrect - but she just called me back and said yep, I can quit. ????

Has anyone heard of this? I'm afraid I will loose this baby once I stop. Everything I've read says to continue until the placenta takes over. Help anyone if you can!!

· Registered
815 Posts
umm.. my doc kept me on it until after the first trimester. I suffer from low progesterone and had 2 m/c because of it. hmmm.. I would call back and request that you stay on it until at least 10 weeks when the placenta will take over production of the progesterone..

· Registered
1,423 Posts
i had to stay on it for the entire 1st trimester - stopped at the beginning of week 13.

call and insist on speaking to the doctor, don't rely on the nurse / receptionist to relay info. show up at the office if you have to.

· Registered
245 Posts
I would insist on staying on it until after the first trimester. It can definitely drop again after you quit taking it, and it can't hurt you to keep taking it. Once my midwife told me I could quit mine at 12 weeks, I just kept on taking it until I ran out "just in case". A friend of mine is still taking hers at 24 weeks because every time she would try to quit, her levels would drop very low. Luckily, her dr kept testing her after the first tri.

· Registered
342 Posts
I agree with the PPs. Stay on it. I, too had two miscarriages and I have to be on progesterone for the entire first trimester.
There is no real reason for your doc to be against it - there is no risk to continuing, so what is it to him?

· Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone - I have a very early am appt on Monday, thank goodness. So I will talk directly with the Dr... I think this is a case of the nurse being incorrect. But wow, can you imagine if I wasn't the type of person to research and ask questions? How dangerous!

I'll let you guys know what happens.

· Premium Member
2,900 Posts
hopefully everything will go ok. I was on it until 13 weeks with my last two pregnancies, and not at all with the first, which I m/c. You need to stay on it through the first tri. If that dr. gives you probelms with it, I think you will need to find a new dr!

· Premium Member
1,606 Posts
I agree it is generally continued till the end of first tri. 14 weeks for me X 6 pregnancies so far. Your levels are nice because of the supplement. There is no harm in continuing it for a few more weeks and there may very well be a benefit.

· Registered
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I only had to take progesterone once, and I was told when I first got the script that it isn't often continued past the first trimester- so the 6 week limit doesn't surprise me.
6 week limit? I'm only 6 weeks pregnant - I've been taking it a week and a half.

· Registered
353 Posts
I had a m/c with first pregnancy. After monitoring cycles, I figured out the luteal phase was too short, so the OB prescribed prometrium. I took it with DS and with this pregnancy, ending between 11-12 weeks each time. You are your own best advocate...stand strong for what you need! You can do it!!

· Registered
309 Posts
I'm on progesterone for a few more weeks although my levels have never been low, due to my m/c history, my OB wants to play it safe. Good to research and advocate for yourself especially for peace of mind!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.