Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, I can hear it already, scheduling is bad bad bad. I KNOW that. I bf dd on demand all day long, usually every hour or so. Well, I HAVE to start back to work in a week and a half. I have tried deperately for her to take a bottle, with no success. I have tried a million different ones it seems like. Well, I am pretty sure my boss will let me feed her on my planning period and my lunch break (I'm a teacher). Which means I will drop her off at daycare at about 7:30, then I can come feed her at 9:30 and again at 12:00. Then I will pick her up at 3:30 to come home.

If she won't take a bottle, she is going to have to learn to eat at those two times, and fill up, not just nurse for a few minutes. Please, any suggestions? I am panicking and stressing so much I can't stand it! I wish I didn't have to work, but that isn't an option. Neither is having her brought up to me every hour. Those are the only two times I have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
First of all- don't worry. My DS refused anything to do with a bottle before I went back to work, but it didn't take long to convince him the first day back. He would never take a bottle when I was anywhere near- and somehow he knew if I was just out taking a walk or if I was gone for the day. So there is still a chance that she will take a bottle in your absence.

Some babes are picky about the type of bottle or nipple- you might want to try a bunch of different kinds. Other things to consider- how old is your babe- could you try EBM in a small cup, a sippy cup, or a dropper? Even newborns can cup feed from very small cups.

Truthfully, though, its great if you can get to your DCP's place and BF- those times don't seem unreasonable. Most of the people who I know with babies who absolutely refused a bottle were more than willing to wait for their milk- some of them waited 8-10 hours and would do their intense nursing in the evening. If you can make it work to nurse at 7, 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30 it will probably be just fine.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Have someone else feed her with the bottle while you are out of the house would be my suggestion. She knows that you give milk out of the breast which is much better to her and she can smell you from over 50 feet away so I would just wait until she is in daycare and let them feed her there and not worry about it. She would probably be just fine going 2 1/2 hours, many babies wait until they have the real thing while they are in daycare and do just fine during those times. If you fill her up with food before she is ready for solids she will not digest the nutrients and she will not eat as much breast milk and so will not get adaquete nutrition.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My DD will take a bottle for anybody but me. She'll only take a bottle if I'm gone more than 4 hours though, otherwise she'll hold out for me. How old is your DD? It's entirely possible that she'll be fine with the times you can come nurse her for awhile. If she won't take a bottle for the DCP, see if someone can cupfeed her. Try different nipples, bottles, times and see if anything works. Remember that babies often refuse the bottle from mama, but if offered when hungry by someone else they will not allow themselves to starve. (At least this has been my experience with my kids, other family and friends) Try to not stress out, you will find a way to make this work.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Don't worry she will be fine. Nursing twice during the day will be spectacular. I nursed Marah Jade at lunch until she was 14 months. Marah Jade refused to take a bottle for the first 34 days I was back at work (can you tell it stressed me LOL). After that she would take one a day sometimes two. She stopped taking them again when she was 6 months old and didn't take another one until she was 16 months and I went on my first business trip.

Marah Jade was a reverse cycle baby and she would just nurse when I got home. The nursing sessions were really long, usually the first lasted two full hours, and they were about every hour until I went to bed. I would sleep feed her so she never really woke up at night.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Same here, he wouldn't take a bottle if I was in the same zipcode, but he'd take a bottle fine otherwise.

Weird thing was, he'd take like 15oz or so from daycare and wait until I got home....then nurse like a beast.
When my MIL took him for us though (househunting in 100deg heat was much better without a 5m old!) she'd give him every last drop...and i'd pack like 20oz for 3 hours!??!?!?!

I have no clue why...but there ya go.

Our son wasn't picky when it came to bottles, aside from anyone but mom giving them to him, but playtex worked for us best. the new ones.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi there, I went back to work 2 days a week when my first child was 5 months old. I was feeding her pretty much every 1 to 2 hours at home. She also ate some solid food too (this was in the old days, when it was recommended to start solids at 4 months
) I went back to work really suddenly. My work phoned me on the Friday and asked me to start back on Monday. My dd had refused a bottle up till then, and I wasn't really great at pumping.

I pumped at my break and lunch. Her dad got her to drink the expressed milk out of a cup with a straw. After a few weeks I stopped pumping at work as it took so long, and my dd wasn't really keen on drinking the EBM. So she went all day without any breastmilk, and I went all day without pumping. I'd pretty much feed her all evening and night when I got home. On the days I wasn't working I'd feed her every 1 to 2 hours like normal.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being in a daycare setting will be really different for your dd. There will be so much going on and lots of things to distract her. I'm sure she will be fine with only 2 breastfeeds from you during the day. And it's not a long day for her either, if you are collecting her at 3:30. Good luck

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I went to a class when my oldest was a few months old. She would take a bottle before the class started. I practiced w/ her b/c I was sure she would starve! Even though she practiced, she soon caught on that I came back every 3 or 4 hours to nurse her and she held out for me. Man those nursings were good ones too! Typically she was a lazy nurser but those trips home she would latch on and go to town! My class was only a week or two so I don't know if she would have continued that or eventually taken a bottle. That on demand behavior works for their benefit - they figure a way to make it work on their own I think.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I had the same fears when I went back to woh when ds2 was 7 mos. I stressed and stressed for weeks before going back, but it actually went really well. He was used to nursing on demand around the clock, but he adjusted very quickly to my schedule (which was a feeding at about 11:30 and 2:00 - pickup at 5:15) then he would nurse like a madman when we got home and through the night.

My advise would be to relax and enjoy your time with babe now. I don't think there's anything you can do to "prepare" a baby for a change in schedule. Every babe is different and every situation is different.
When you have to go back to work, negotiate a "transition period" with your employer, if possible. I went back for a couple half days and then a longer day the first week & a few longer days the next week. I took about 3 weeks to go back to fulltime. DS and I dealt with things and made adjustments the first few weeks and then we were both OK with the schedule.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts