Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:'Comic Sans MS';"><span>Our 5 year old daughter is obviously jealous of the baby. I have done everything I can to make her feel like nothing has changed for her. We have spent some girl time together and got a quick manicure. Today we went to the movies. I reassure her all the time that I love her the same and it will never change. I talk about how important her role as a big sister is, and how her little sister is going to love her and look up to her. blah, blah, blah....... We did everything thay say to do-when a new sibling enters the picture.<br><br>
A few nights after we came home from the hospiatl I was home with baby and my 5 yr old (Sophia) was out with her father. I was laying in bed with the baby and Sophia came in and saw her in her spot and tears just streamed down her cheeks. SO SAD! I said "put on your pajamas and you could lay with us. So I have the baby, sophia in bed and then the cat jumps up and see's sophia in her spot and lets ou a cry...I'm like "no way, not you too!"<br><br>
She has been relentless. I try not to say "Don't touch the baby" over and over... I do not want her to resent the baby. But the baby is so fragile and she is always touching, and jumping around and falling into her, dropping the remote on her head, kicking her (accidentally) while laying on the couch with her legs facing me. If I say please be careful, or gentle, and finally in a rage "Don't touch the baby!" It turns her into a hyped up animal desperate to get her hands on her somehow, someway. Which inevitably ends up with threats, and time in her room, and tantrums.. I just don't know what to do. I can't seem to get her to listen to me, and I feel like she's an attack animal.<br>
By the way, you should see how she treats our cat. I do not know why I am surprised. I feel so nervous when she is around, and I really do not want her to think I don't trust her...But, I really don't. I know that must sound horrible.<br><br>
Oh. and all the sudden since the baby came home the cat is peeing on Sophia's bed.<br><br>
I am so stressed, I feel guilty, I'm sick on top of it, and my neck hurts so bad from nursing......</span></span>

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Wow. somehow you ended up with a jealous child AND jealous cat! The cat is definitely showing an "I'm unhappy" behavior.<br><br>
While my 9 year old isn't jealous, he's obsessed with getting his hands and lips on the baby. It's begun to lessen now that baby is 16 days old, but still there. I'm lucky he is in school too.<br><br>
Can you offer a reward for complying with the rules? Something she loves? Maybe a few M&Ms each evening if she's not touched baby without asking. Or giving her an M&M when you "catch" her listening.<br><br>
Good luck, mama!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
it will soon all come together. My 2 yr old just loves to find the baby on the floor so he can lay on top of him.<br><br>
The first week I had the baby, my in-laws came to help. When I was nursing the other little ones wanted to climb on me and perch on my shoulder to see what was going on. My 2 yr old wanted to nurse too. E<br><br>
Everytime they came towards me my in-laws would quickly whisk them away to another activity. It seemed to make matters worse. They knew that something very special was going on between me and the little bambino. So, they would try harder to get to me and it would get a little rough. Until finally, I asked that they be allowed to just come to me and I would adjust them around me.<br><br>
I started to nurse and let my two yr old sit on my other lap. I would make sure he held him everyday by himself(with my hand under him).<br><br>
The baby now is 6 months and is a smiley little guy and the other kids can interact with him. They love it. They bring him toys. They still can get too rough, so I keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
oh danielle, i feel for you mama. sometimes megh drives me batty too w/ how she acts around her brother...so far it isn't tooooo bad......hopefully it'll stay this good....but when she wants what she wants and she wants it N-O-W and i'm nursing sheamas or something it is so hard on me. i better get in there and snuggle up to her...i don't want her to have to cry and ask for me to come into bed...i just don't feel tired so its tough. but i'm sure she'd love it if i just initiated it. she is probably lonely..........anyway i better go. i haven't any answers except just love on her and keep loving on her............be silly......if she argues say do you want to fight and then tackle her to the floor and give her tons of kisses on her neck...make her laugh......i've been doing a lot of this w/ megh and it helps. hugs. (we both have kids 5 yrs apart...only i think part of your dd1's issue is that baby is a girl too)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts