Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I have some help/point me in the right direction?

I have a 6 year old and a 14 month old, both of whom have had no vaccinations. I would like to get them immunized. I have a few issues though. Our children's Dr cannot give medicaid patients shots, we have to go to the county health department to get them. I was warned by the nurse at the Dr. office that the Co. health will load kids up with as many shots as they can reasonably give at one time. I really don't have much guidance from my Dr. on how to go about catching up, but not overloading too many at once, I am more comfortable catching up over a month's time or so, specifically for the baby. Has anyone else been in this situation? Would Dr. Sears book be a good reference? How was your schedule for catching up a lo? Appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I was there! I started catching my kids up in March and they'll be caught up November. I'll send you a message later today about how I decided to do it. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bear in mind I do not vaccinate, but given how many vaccinations there are now, I would not consider it a wise choice to do it over only one month. There are simply too many shots and you will not leave enough time between them to adequately monitor for reactions. Often when children have a vaccine reaction, the reactions can get more severe with each dose. I strongly urge you to research more and go more slowly.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Bear in mind I do not vaccinate, but given how many vaccinations there are now, I would not consider it a wise choice to do it over only one month. There are simply too many shots and you will not leave enough time between them to adequately monitor for reactions. Often when children have a vaccine reaction, the reactions can get more severe with each dose. I strongly urge you to research more and go more slowly.
I'm sure she meant that she wanted to start the different series over a month.

Also, this board is for vaccinating parents only.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was there! I started catching my kids up in March and they'll be caught up November. I'll send you a message later today about how I decided to do it. :)
Thank you! I would really appreciate it so much! Nice to hear from someone who when through the same thing :) I'll be waiting your message :smile:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The CDC has a helpful "catch up" vaccination schedule.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/catchup.html

Obviously, there is an interval between the different shots.

Whatever you decide and where ever you decide to go, remember that you're in charge of you children's health care decisions and feel free to say, "No, we're not doing that today. We'll do that next time."

Decide what you want to do each time going in, have a plan and stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kathymuggle

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
The CDC has a helpful "catch up" vaccination schedule.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/catchup.html

Obviously, there is an interval between the different shots.

Whatever you decide and where ever you decide to go, remember that you're in charge of you children's health care decisions and feel free to say, "No, we're not doing that today. We'll do that next time."

Decide what you want to do each time going in, have a plan and stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is excellent advice! No matter what the health department wants to do ultimately you are the parent and in charge. When you arrive inform them which vaccination you are there to receive & if they try to add more politely refuse. No need to elaborate - just say no and stand your ground.
Catching up can be stressful for both parents and kids - do whatever it takes for you to remain comfortable with the process.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Excellent advice. Great thread. Hope it all goes ok for you. Take care of yourself - vaccinations for older kids can be stressful for all involved. Try to include a treat in the day for everyone. :)

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I'm curious why the Dr won't do the shots? Maybe consider another Dr? Is this Medicaid rule statewide? My Dr does Medicaid shots.
Every state does medicaid different. Medicaid won't do shots in Tx either (for adults, don't know about kids because they have tricare).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious why the Dr won't do the shots? Maybe consider another Dr? Is this Medicaid rule statewide? My Dr does Medicaid shots.
It was explained to me that Medicaid shots have to be closely tracked by the state. My practice is not set up to administer them. There are practices that do give them around here, though. We all see the same family D.O., so I can't even get my flu shot there. Sucks. Maybe I should call and request they change that.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Hey @ursaminor - just wondered how all this is going.

Great user name by the way. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts