Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first attempt at crochet. I knit a sweater with a very square scoop neck and am crocheting a border around the edge. It has been going fine until I got to the neck. When I go around the corners of the scoop neck, it seems like I need to decrease at the corners in order to retain the shape. Well, when I do that, the edges get bunched and don't lie flat. This is so confusing. I tried to look online for examples but can't figure it out.<br><br>
My goal is to make the neckline smaller. I need to make it less low cut, and also make it less wide. Maybe I need to accomplish it by doing the sides first? then working on the bottom instead of doing it all continuously? Should I not do my decreases at the corner?<br><br>
This is so confusing and I am such a dork at crocheting. I have taken the whole border out a bunch of times and reworked it. Each time I learn and it gets better. But still, I just can't visualize it in my head.<br><br>
Help, can anyone direct me to any online resources or have an easy answer?<br><br>
Thanks, ND

·
Registered
353 Posts
Experiment is the easiest way...<br><br>
I'd try this first:<br><br>
Decrease once at the exact corner and crochet on each side what ever stitch you are doing (I'd do a sc).<br><br>
If that doesn't work, try to decrease on either side of the corner (that will REALLY draw it in).<br><br>
Try different stitches, however, I'd probably stick with sc because dc will pop up and may not lay as flat as you'd like.<br><br>
Hugs,<br>
tammy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts