Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and the doctor wrote for Cipro. It's for my BFF. She's overseas and the doctor told her to take Cipro and that she has to stop breastfeeding/wean her 12 month old.

She (BFF) is in excrutiating pain but is scared to take the Cipro. What alternative can she ask for?
Anyone??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having a degree in herbal medicine, I can say and have used a combination of cranberry pills 2, 3x a day (you can drink a gallon of cranberry juice a day but the pills are more practical)with 8-10 large glasses of water, exclude caffiene from youre diet. Take echinacea, they even come in gummy bear form, or tea. Red raspberry leaf tea is also good for you too. I can recommend a list if you want? but it works very well.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this info.
She's overseas though and all that stuff is hard to find. She's already been in pain the past few days and her dh wasn't home so she is there with her 3 kids, no transportation to go out but she does have the Cipro there. Her dh is not off work for another 3 hours. I'm worried for her

She was in so much pain

edited to add: the doc she saw was all "make sure you don't nurse" like it was the easiest thing to instantly wean your one year old. Antibiotics can be purchased over the counter there, but she just needs to know which one to ask for

·
Registered
647 Posts
There was an article in Mothering Magazine you might want to look at.Link

I agree with pp that Keflex might be a good alternative. It is widely used to treat UTI even in young children (although without a culture you can't be sure which abx will work). As a side note, the doctors here were fine with giving dd Cipro at the age of 5 months for a kidney infection (resistant bacteria) - we found an alternative, but apparently they felt it was safe enough.

Kidney infections are no fun at all, and I hope your friend is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I have forwarded her some info from this thread as well as info from my midwife and from a couple doctor acquaintances (though we got very 'typical' MD info such as switching to formula while on the Cipro)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I had to take Cipro several times during our nursing years... and I trusted Dr. Hale. He appears to be the only one that has does extensive research.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx everyone. She didn't feel comfortable with taking cipro.was able to get amoxicillin confirming with her doc that it's an alternative...she's starting to feel better

thx for all ur help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.