Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

I woke up this morning with a thumping ear ache. Now there doesn't seem to be any wax build up when I use a cotton tip in the ear canal but my whole left ear feels like it's under water. The pressure is horrendous and I can't hear a thing out of that ear. I feel like a baby - just pulling at my ear and laying down moaning.

Tried ear drops but it hasn't worked. I was going to go to the doctor but I thought it would be a waste of money as unsure what they would do. Any home remedies mamma's? Please help me! I am in excruitiating agony.

By the way I'm 9 weeks pregnant so any remedies have to be baby friendly.

Thankyou angels!

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Oh no Mama!

What kind of ear drops were you trying? Muellin Garlic eardrops are the best natural medicine for ear infections. Take a whole bunch of vitamin C too.

How long has this been going on? If you catch it before it gets too out of hand you should be able to get rid of it easily with the Muellin Garlic eardrops.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Oh no, that's a second mama with an earache today!
I'll just "copy/paste" my reply to the first one:

Here is a good 'ol Russian method that I use and it helps me overnight.

Vodka compress (the cheaper the better, 'cuz we are not talking taste here):

Take a piece of cotton cloth (size of the wash cloth, enough to cover the ear and surrounding area)

Saturate in vodka and wring, so it is nice and damp, but not dripping wet

Cut a piece of plastic bag slightly bigger then the cloth

Place a dampened piece of cloth over the ear

Place a piece of plastic over it

Wrap/secure the compress with a warm scarf of any sort

Make sure it stays securely on your head all night (hopefully you will manage to fall asleep)

In about 20 min you should start feeling warmth from the compress. If it still feels chilly, make sure the plactic covers the cloth thouroughly

I have used other alchohols as well, when it hurts you don't discriminate (tequila, wisky, cognac)

I would not suggest rubbing alchohol - may dry the skin too much.

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I've heard Chiropractic care can really relieve earaches with some cranial-facial(sp?) work. Also, my childhood fav for earache is a couple of drops of warm veggie oil in the ear, then blocked with a cotton ball.
Hot shower/steam (perhaps pain from nasal congestion?)
Warm compresses on side of head.
hth
Good luck!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Sudafed is the quickest way to relieve ear pressure until you find something more natural. It's safe when pg, too. Hope you feel better soon!

Darshani

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out I have an extreme case of swimmer's ear - ouchy!!! So swollen the doctor couldn't even see my eardrum. Using antibiotic ear drops together with vodka compress which works well on the pain. Thankyou all the wonderful mamma's who have helped me on this thread. Would love to hear more natural remedies as my ds gets earaches all the time (and I don't want to use vodka on my toddler - kwim?)

starlite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.