Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I have an oversupply or overactive let-down (maybe both?), but I've been block feeding in order to help regulate things.<br><br>
Well, I occasionally get engorged on one side and I'm not sure what to do about it in terms of how it fits in to the block feeding. For example, this evening, I started feeling really engorged on the right side, but it was still the block of time when I should have been feeding from the left, so that's what I did. Now my right breast is getting painful! Should I have gone ahead and fed from the right?<br><br>
What can I do right now to help my aching right side? I have cabbage leaves on right now (thank you, CSA!) but man, it's getting worse and more painful. DS just fell asleep so won't be ready to nurse for a while. I do have a hand pump but have never successfully been able to get much.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I would pump or express enough to ease the pain. What I did when block feeding if one side got engorged I would latch the baby on that side first till I got relief then switch to the other side. I didnt have to do it much but it beats having a painful boob and possible infection set in.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've had the same question about block feeding! I didn't understand how people could do it without one side getting engorged.<br><br>
I highly recommend taking lecithin regularly to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis, especially if you're routinely getting engorged.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My breast went from engorged to painful and red in about an hour. Luckily DS woke up and nursed well on that side. It is still pink and tender today. I have ben taking lecithin to help, and doing compresses and massage. I do feel a bit flu-y today.<br><br>
Getting frustrated, though! This is the third time I've had a plugged duct in as many weeks. And DS is still getting sprayed and choking on my milk despite the block feeding...

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
The good news is he will grow to handle that at least my 2 did. Sometimes I could get a bit out first that helped. Since you are having engorgement issues I would make sure to pump or hand express to keep it from happening. Your body will adjust pretty soon I would think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts