Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I should bring ds (20 months) into ER today, walk-in clinic tomorrow or if I can wait till Monday to call our regular hcp.

Last night he had a fever (I didn't take his temp - just noticed he felt a bit warm whenever he woke to nurse) that I attributed to him having a cold (he often gets a fever with a cold). However, just now when I changed his dipe I noticed that his urine was very strong (ie gross!) smelling - kind of an amonia smell. I then remembered that over the past couple of days he's been pulling at his diaper quite often, trying to get it off, and telling me (in distressed tone) that he has done a pee pee. Seems to me now that we are probably dealing with a UTI. I've never dealt with one in a toddler before. If it were me I'd be chugging water and unsweetened cranberry juice, but ds doesn't seem to be interested in water and won't have anything to do with sour juice. I have been nursing as much as possible (much more than usual).

So what's your take on the situation? Take him to the ER (which, as reported on the news yesterday, is super over-crowded right now due to parents panicking about H1N1), wait till tomorrow when we can get to a walk-in clinic, or wait till Monday to call our hcp.

TIA mamas!!!!

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tessie View Post
I wouldn't wait. UTIs can be pretty unpleasant in young kids and progress quickly to the kidneys.
Thanks for your advice.
Ds is taking a (really late!) nap right now. I am going to reassess when he wakes and will likely head over to the ER. A drag that dh is gone for the rest of the day and I will have to get across town with dd and ds on public transit (sigh... woe is me! lol!).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
Thanks for your advice.
Ds is taking a (really late!) nap right now. I am going to reassess when he wakes and will likely head over to the ER. A drag that dh is gone for the rest of the day and I will have to get across town with dd and ds on public transit (sigh... woe is me! lol!).
They always manage to time things badly, don't they. (Kids & DHs)

Hope he'll be on the mend soon.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd go in, just b/c they're pretty easy to diagnose - just make sure they don't retract him in the ER, and ask for a bag to collect urine instead of a cath (although they'll probably insist on a cath). My son had a horrible time when he had rotavirus and they tried to cath him since they suspected a UTI

·
Registered
248 Posts
My dd (then 22mo) had a UTI when we traveled to the US looking for a house before moving. I had no Dr and was going to take her to Urgent Care the next day if I couldn't find something to help.
I found D-Mannose powder!! This is amazing stuff. It is the active ingredient in Cranberries that gets rid of the infection. I gave her about 1/2 of a tsp 3 times/day and she was better by the next day!

Don't know if it's too late for this, but I sure hope she's feeling better. I keep it on hand for myself and her now and take it first sign of a poss uti.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts