Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 14+ months and I work from home 3 days and in the office 2 days. I am still trying to pump while in the office but I am barely getting 1 oz from both sides! Should I stop pumping? If I am this low in pumping does that mean I am low when nursing? Should I start giving him milk or a milk alternative? He is growing good, putting on weight and super tall so I think it is o.k., but I am a new mom and kind of frecking out
Plus I am the first woman in my family to nurse and only have 1 friend that nurses and she does not work.
I would appreciate any advice!!
Thanks

Tiffany mommy to beautiful Lucas 3/30/07

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome!!

Are you pumping every day or only on the days in the office? If you can, try and pump at the same time every day - it will boost your supply. And remember, you wont get as much with a pump as your ds gets out by nursing.

I will admit to not having a whole lot of experience in pumping, just wanted to offer what I've read. And bump the thread for so someone in the know can help you more.

·
Registered
815 Posts
How many hours are you away? Have you had supply issues in the past? When my ds was about 13 months old I went back to school - most days I was only gone three hours or so at a time, but once a week I was gone for 10 and another for 6. I found that both he and my body adjusted fine. He would nurse a lot before I left and when I came home, and increased his night nursing for a time. During the day he just ate a little more food and increased the amount of water he usually drank.

I would think adding cow's milk to the mix will only complicate things and decrease his demand and thus your supply.

And of course welcome to MDC!

-L

eta: Is your son 14 months or 4? Your siggy says he's 4 months, and if thats the case then I would not recommend not pumping at work

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only pump on the days I am in the office. I thought about pumping when I was home but he nurses when I am home, so I thought that would mess things up.
Sorry for the dump questions but what does DS stand for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am away for 9 - 10 hours 2 days a week, he usually nurses in the morning before I go and then as soon as I get home. I used to pump 3 times a day at work and now I only pump 2 times as, I just wasn't pumping enough and it does take away from work and I am super overwhelmed at work so I was trying to make it easier. I just stinks, cause I am the only one who nurses at work and I am the only one that nurses out of my family and friends as well. Thank goodness I met one person this last year who nurses, or I don't think I would have made it this far.
So you didn't pump on those long days away from him?
Sorry i don't know what MDC stands for?
I corrected his date of birth he is 14 months.
THanks so much!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good for you to nurse against the flow!!!!!!!!! You child is sooo lucky to have you!!!!!!!!!
s

I think you could stop pumping and your body and child would adjust. Part of the issue, is that your mind has to release a hormone to "letdown" your milk, but your mind doesn't recognize the pump (this is really simple and vague, sorry). If you were to pump every day at regular intervals and think about your child while doingit, you would get more. But you don't, so it is harder to respond.

At 14 months your body has a very mature system that can respond very quickly to your child's needs. It will respond to even without pumping on those days. (my answer would be different if he was under a year or you worked more).

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
If he's nursing before you leave and when you get home, that's great. Is there anyway someone can bring him to you on your lunch break, or you could go to him? That would give him one more nursing session on those long days. And during the day I would only give him water for a drink, I wouldn't offer cow's milk at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, it definately has been hard going. I just don't know what to do and don't have anyone to go to, I feel like a pest constantly bugging the one nursing mother I know and recently she showed me the mothering magazine which is great! It is great to have this chat to get other ideas and prospectives.
My husband and I don't want to give our child cow's milk so I have been doing my best to not have to. We do not drink it ourselves, so we don't think we should make our child do it. We are trying to make sure he gets his calcium from other options.
Thank you so much for all of your advice and comments! It means a lot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to go to visit him at lunch when he was at daycare, but we recently rearranged our schedules so my husband can watch him the 2 days I am in the office and we are just to far away to get to him at lunch now. He has been drinking my pumped milk from a bottle on the days I am at work, but my frozen supply is going fast and I am not making enough to replenish it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
tgchinn,
Here is a link to a similar recent thread I posted a reply to.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=spiel

Frequently I simply copy/paste earlier posts of mine but I'm starting to wonder if my lengthy posts are sometimes threadkillers. If the link doesn't work PM me and I'll PM you with a copy/paste.

If you think you could use some tips on Cleaning Parts (at work), Transporting Milk, and Storage I can probably dig up a post and link on those as well. PM me for that.

Here is one resource that deserves a special mention for Working and Pumping moms. I think of it as a mother's milk conservation guide for Day Care Providers.
How to bottle-feed the breastfed baby
...tips for a breastfeeding supportive style of bottle feeding
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

HTH, ~Cath

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I forgot to say that being that this is only 2 days per week, if he is happy during the day with water and solids, then I am sure he will make up for the breastmilk he missed during the day by nursing extra in the evenings and at night. Did you say you co-slept? This would help on the nights that you have been at work during the day as then he will have unrestricted access to the breast when he needs it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.