Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really strange and I need a little advice. My 2 yo continually humps his blankets, stuffed toys, etc. His day care teacher even mentioned it to me today. I thought maybe it was normal but the way she asked me about it made me think that its not so normal. I don't want to make him feel bad by making him think he's being bad by doing it, but at the same time, I don't want it to get out of hand. Does anybody have any experience with this and can help me, or maybe just your viewpoint on it. Is it normal for him to do this?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I work with children. I have seen this type of behaviour from both girls and boys. We were always tought in child developent that it is a normal stage of development keeping that in mind not all children do it so not all adults are comfortable or even aware of it.<br><br>
I wouldn't worry to much. As long as he is healthy and doesn't an infection or anything that could be bothering him I am sure he will outgrow it...thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Some kids just do this. My dd started it at 10 mos and continues to this day (she's almost 5). She does it more often when she's stressed or there's a change of routine. She has learned to do it in private now, and in moderation. There were a few interesting years though, when she was very public about it.<br><br>
If it persists, check him for infection, yeast, or UTI. If all those things are ruled out, he's probably just bored. Distraction sometimes works. Not much else does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts