Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son Liam will be 11m next Tuesday. About 2 weeks ago he refused to nurse. He would take the bottles of expressed milk but wouldn't latch on at all and would turn away from me and scream as if I were forcing him to do something awful. Okay maybe teething and his teething necklace is working this time (he never did this with his first 6 teeth though). We tried motrin and still wouldn't nurse. Nothing in my diet was different! Over the course of two days I got him to nurse 1-2 times and it was in the middle of the night and he was plain ol' tired and starving! But otherwise it was just expressed milk. The following day he nursed fine. The next two weeks were fine. Then yesterday morning he wouldn't eat before I left for work. When I came home, he wouldn't nurse. At bedtime nothing and all night long. So we had to give him bottles of rice milk since I only pump about 12 oz of milk a day and they were used up. This morning, wouldn't nurse. Drank the expressed milk while I was gone. When I came home, he refused at first and screamed bloody murder but settled and we tried again and he ate however he kept popping off and crying. About an hour ago, he woke up to eat but wouldn't nurse. We put him back down. He just woke up again and refused to eat but cried for it.<br><br>
I don't know what the heck is going on. He does NOT have any ear issues or sickness and motrin/tylenol doesn't change things. He is otherwise happy and himself. Is this a strike? Why is is happening? Do I let my hubby give him bottles of rice milk to keep him fed and hydrated or should I make him wait it out until he is hungry enough to nurse? Is he weaning? I am really upset by this as I feel completely rejected. I really wanted to BF for another year.<br><br>
What do I do?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Keep pumping and giving him the expressed milk.<br><br>
Do you think your period is coming or that you might be pg?<br><br>
Once I got pg with #5, S wouldn't nurse anymore. My supply dropped and she didn't tolerate sucking the decrease in volume.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Not to scare you, but that's what DD did when I got PG with the twins. It was clue #1 that I was PG again. She weaned completely at 13 mo, but the last 2 months of nursing were hard, she didn't want to latch and bit me pretty often out of frustration. My volume didn't decrease immediately but I think the flavor of my milk changed when I got PG.<br><br>
Maybe your cycle is changing the volume and/or flavor?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not PG...we have to be having sex for that to happen and we have been too tired or too busy!<br><br>
He finally nursed again last night and was pretty good today...don't know why this is happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My son did the same thing to me once i started working again. I have heard that it happens to other mothers too. The reason that i was told, and that i believe is that the child gets the milk much easier with the bottle (he/she doesnt have to work for sucking-- they are lazy ... lol).<br>
I just gave up with my son, and i am pumping all the time now. It is hard and time consumming but at least he can still get the BM. However, i dont think I will be doing this once he hits 1 year.<br>
Good luck...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi- so sorry you are going through this, must be very frustrating. Don't give up yet and defnitely keep pumping! What type of bottle are you giving your LO while you are at work? This may be critical because if he is getting a very easy flow type bottle then suddenly needing to nurse with a bit more effort, that may be the issue. Make sure you use a Stage 1 bottle nipple and don't be tempted to go to Stage 2 until he is nursing consistently again. I use the First Years BPA free Breastflow bottles that have a "double" nipple which supposedly is closer to breastfeeding...you may try that. The only other thing I can think of is that he is refluxing (silent) and so having a harder time nursing than bottle feeding so prefers that...<br><br>
Oh, also, have the person giving him the bottle alternate between sides just like he would nursing...so he doesn't get a preference for one side or another. Does he refuse both breasts equally? Did you try other positions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts