Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH got a huge splinter of wood jabbed into his left forearm while cleaning up construction debris yesterday. It sounds like it went pretty far in (maybe 1.5 - 2ins?) and it bled a good amount. The area around it, about 4-5 ins in diameter is now red, hot and swollen. Is it necessarily infected, or maybe the body is just fighting off the foreign particles? I'm not so worried about tetanus after reading here, but I don't want him to end up with a huge infection and on abx. He cleaned it off pretty well right afterwards, with water and iodine. I told him not to use neosporin, as I've read that it kills tissue along with the germs, thereby providing "fuel" for an infection and making it worse. I don't know if the iodine did the same thing? Should he soak it now? I was thinking maybe hot, salty water with a little tea tree oil to hopefully draw out anything harmful? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/info!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody know how to treat a puncture wound???

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Good call on the neosporin.<br>
I would do the saline and/or tea tree oil thing, and then dab on a little tea tree oil. And keep it clean/covered. Red, warm skin would typically be an infection, but I tend to just watch and keep it clean and not worry too much. If the redness spreads though, or faint red lines start streaking up his arm, then you are in trouble and need some sort of outside help.<br>
Also, I need to learn a lot more about homeopathy, but we do keep and use ledum palustre for puncture wounds. You could also suggest that he take some extra vit C.<br>
Hope it heals quick.<br>
Katia

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts