Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to boil the jars in a pot or can I just do them in the oven ?
I think I remember my mum used to just sterilize them in the oven...the canning queen that woman is...but not too quick on the email checking!

(tell me the oven, I dont have a big pot!)

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I just wash mine in hot soapy water or put thru dishwasher. THey will get boiled in the canning process after unless you are doing the open kettle canning.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~Thanks~
I think I must be doing open kettle....

..just incase someone else is doing a search
and have their fruit on the stove already...

here's how I did it...
I ended up scrubbing the jars in soapy water, rincing, then pouring boiling water into the jars...letting them sit for 15mins, then putting them in a warm oven 200 f. for 20 mins. and taking them out one by one to fill with the hot fruit and boiling syrup...they (all 7 jars
) have all sealed up nicely.

~my mum got back to me and said that sterilizing in the oven would be fine and to watch out that when they come out of the oven, they dont touch a wet or cold surface or water or even if the fruit is cooler, so let the jar cool a tiny bit first...or they will crack...~

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Glad you figured it out. When I do open kettle, I steam my jars.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I have this pasta cooking pot with an insert that goes inside to hold the pasta. I fill the pot about 1/3 way with water and then I put as many jars as I can fit in to steam. I also use my stock pot with a steamer basket. Since I can only fit about 4 or so in each pot, as I take jars out to fill, I put new ones in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.