Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mastisis right now and it sucks. I've got body aches, cold chills
:, a temp of 101 or 102....the works. Not to mention my boobs are in serious pain.

This started yesterday morning. I have a 5 month old DD and until 3 or 4 days ago, we had been exclusively pumping and bottlefeeding BM. So basically 1.5 days after I get her back on the boob, this happens

She's still adjusting to the speed of the flow of milk at the breast and gets frustrated easily. --even moreso now because i think its coming out even slower.

So here's my question:

some people have said, pump AND nurse a lot. my issue with this is that if I pump and then she nurses soon after, there's not a lot of milk left and she flips out.

other people have said that the pump made it worse for them and to just try and nurse a whole lot. my issue there is that she nursed at 2---now its 5:30 and she's still napping. but i need to pump/nurse. however if I do pump and then she wakes up and wants to nurse.... i think you can see the vicious cycle forming.

I'm calling my PCP in the morning but any advice would be awesome. I feel like I'm dying.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
At this point you just need to empty your breasts as much as possible as often as possible. I would nurse and pump and rest as much as possible and see your healthcare provider

I understand about baby not liking the slow flowing breast so you are reluctant to pump, but at this point you need to remove milk in order to help the mastitis.
Good luck and feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I had major problems with clogged ducts and mastitis with my DS. This website really helped me as did drinking tons of water (I'm not a big water drinker, but I did notice that when I drank more water I didn't have as many problems). Good luck to you, mastitis is definately not fun!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you have a health food store near by, see if the have a mastitis tincture. Buy two bottles and take it round the clock. That's what I did and it worked great. Also, filling a sock with rice or beans and heating it the microwave and placing it on the mass really helps. Other than that, liquids and rest and nursing/pumping all you can.
good luck!

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I'm sorry hun, I had engorgement pretty bad, and was close to turning into mastitis in one particular area where the duct was clogged severly (area still hurts from time to time 3 years later)...and I tried every trick in the book (heating pad, cabbage, etc, )and finally it went down. I was ready to take abx if needed though, as it's nothing to play around with (a friend had recently had breast surgery to remove damaged tissue from mastitis-not to scare you though)! Get it checked out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mastitis is the worst! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with mastitis. Luckily, there are lots of ways to help bypass it as well as ways to help you feel better.

I know most moms use wet or dry heat to the area & then gently massage while the area is still wam, in firm circular motions. Nursing frequently helps a lot, too, as others mentioned. Some moms even use gravity to help by nursing with baby lying down and mom over/on top of baby. Laying on a heating pad really helps, too (my fav!)...
A good latch-on is really important.

You might also try some hand expression and possibly some warm heat to help get the flow of milk going before you nurse... Pumping may easily increase your supply and make things worse.

You're right when you try to get your lo to nurse... it's often the best thing you can do with mastitis. You may try continuing to offer the affected breast more often and just pumping/expessing the other breast...

Different positions may help, too. And, of course, extra rest for mom and baby.

If a mom does get a fever but it goes down and doesn't last more than 24 hours, she can probably bypass the antibiotics and possibly avoid another obstacle... the dreaded thrush!

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mastitis that has progressed to chills and fever is not to be messed with. You can go downhill so fast. I learned that lesson the hard way of course. Many women don't realize that you can call your midwife/doctor/whoever you called when you were going in to labor, and they can set you up with antibiotics any time night/day. I had mastitis at least 5 times during all my years of nursing my kiddos, and I always took antibiotics and never once did anybody get thrush. I always tell anybody that gets mastitis that as soon as they started getting achy in their joints - get those antibiotics! You may soon (within a few hours) want to crawl into a hole and die if you don't.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
In terms of treating the mastitis, I used very, very high doses of vitamin C, until I got serious diarrhea (I stopped at that point). But I could feel my fever coming down and then going back up and knew it was time to take more vitC--I was taking about 6 grams every 20 minutes, but the dosage is really individual.

I hope you feel better soon, mastitis is so not fun!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarbeth View Post
Mastitis that has progressed to chills and fever is not to be messed with. You can go downhill so fast. I learned that lesson the hard way of course. Many women don't realize that you can call your midwife/doctor/whoever you called when you were going in to labor, and they can set you up with antibiotics any time night/day. I had mastitis at least 5 times during all my years of nursing my kiddos, and I always took antibiotics and never once did anybody get thrush. I always tell anybody that gets mastitis that as soon as they started getting achy in their joints - get those antibiotics! You may soon (within a few hours) want to crawl into a hole and die if you don't.
ugh, yeah this is exactly how i feel. i think my fever may have broken, but I'm still definitely calling my doctor first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarbeth View Post
Thank you for saying this! I took abx after 2 days with a high fever, thinking it was the right thing to do b/c I could not function to even take care of my newborn!

Also, OP, keep in mind with mastitis the fever can break and go away in the morning, only to return in the afternoon/evening. It's a fickle beast. I hope you start to feel better soon!

·
Registered
761 Posts
If fever is not gone in 24 hours you should definitely get antibiotics! Most cases of Mastitis can be cured without meds, but the fever is a serious warning, and it may need quick intervention!

One thing that I always HAD to do to get over Mastitis was to sleep. Stay in bed. Sleep with your baby as much as possible, and try to get her to nurse as much as possible. Try pumping after nursing, to make sure you are empty. If you are able, try nursing in a warm bath.

Take care of yourself, and you will get through this, I promise. These infections can really hurt and make you feel horrible, but recovery can be quick once you get any ducts unplugged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.