Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping meticulous records for awhile but I am becoming hardcore about sticking to budgets, being accountable for every penny etc, trying to get to a zero-based budget.

My question is this....
DH and I are paid every two weeks but my records and "budget" have always been written out monthly. It always seems a bit disjointed as we end up a little short some months and a little over others.

I don't know if I am explaining myself clearly but I want a budget based on our 2 weeks pay periods...but our bills come monthly. Does this matter?

If you're on a two week pay period, how is your budget set up?

· Registered
3,691 Posts
We get paid every 2 weeks as well.

I think of my bills as belonging to one of the two paychecks. Gas, electric, student loans get paid by the first check of the month. Phone, long distance, insurance get paid by the second. The mortgage payment is split evenly between the two. Groceries are always $100 a week and we always have a small miscellaneous budget.

I have an excel spread sheet that I track all expenses. I have it set up based on a 2 week cycle

August

Pay check #1 -- $$
1/2 mortgage -- 720
Home equity loan -- 220
Natural gas -- 60
Electric -- 100
My student loan -- 145
Dh's student loan -- 60
Gas for cars -- 50
Groceries -- 100
Miscellaneous fund -- 50
Debt repayment -- $$$$!

Pay check #2 -- $$
1/2 mortage -- 720
phone/DSL -- 55
long distance --10
Geico -- 78
Gas for cars -- 50
Groceries -- 100
Miscellaneous fund -- 50
Debt repayment -- $$$$!

That's the way I have done it for the past few years and haven't had any problems with it. I pay bills online, so I pay them as they come in. I'll get the electric bill, check the total due and note it in my excel budget and pay the bill immediately. If the bill was for less, I put any leftover cash into my debt repayment category (someday this will be a savings fund instead). If the bill was for more, I figure out where I can snitch a few bucks to cover the extra.

I do spend a lot of time staring at my budget and adjusting my numbers. I love a good budget.

· Registered
652 Posts
When dh was being paid every 2 weeks, I always tried to budget assuming 2 paychecks per month & then use the 2 "extra" paychecks a year for savings/emergency funds, but we've also always made sure to live w/in our means & have "cushion" so the "extra paychecks" just get added to the cushion.

· Registered
9,902 Posts
I do what sweetpeas suggested. I set up our budget with the assumption that there will be 2 paychecks per month. I plan to pay xxx bills with paycheck #1, and yyyyy bills with paycheck #2 (rather than plan to pay bills on a specific date). If there is a third paycheck in a certain month, that paycheck goes into savings.

· Registered
455 Posts
My DH is paid on the 1st and the 15th of every month and my spreadsheets look very similar to Ruthiegirl's. I basically have two budget cycles for each month. For the bills, I sat down and figured out roughly when each of them comes due and how much they tend to be. Then I grouped them so I pay certain ones in the first part of the month and certain ones in the second part, but the amount each two weeks that gets expended on bills is roughly equal, so we don't have a week where we are "running on empty," so to speak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.