Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

Hoping to get some feedback about some concerns I've been having regarding our continued sidecar sleeping arrangement. We've been co-sleeping with our daughter since she was born. At 5 months she moved out of our bed and into her sidecar crib with no worries (guess she and I were both ready - hubby had been ready for months!). She's now 7 1/2 months and getting more active.

I'm concerned about a few things: since the mattress in the crib has been raised so that it will meet our mattress' height and is now at the highest level, how safe will she be when she starts to pull up on the sides of the crib? Isn't that when you are supposed to lower the mattress? If we do that, she's no longer level, and she's still waking 2-3x a night for a feed, and it's awfully nice to just roll over to her and feed her, then roll back...

Also, when she starts to crawl and I have her down for a nap but am in another room, what's a safe way to make sure that she doesn't crawl out of the sidecar and onto the bed and then have a fall from the bed? I want to continue to co-sleep, but my hubby won't go for taking apart the bedframe and sleeping with all the mattresses on the floor. Are pillows good for keeping wee ones in in this circumstance? Anything to watch out for with that, safety-wise?

Hoping you can help -

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow, just wanted to say that our DD is the same age as yours, and I have the same concerns! I would really like to hear from other sidecar co-sleeping families about this. Thanks for bringing it up, and I hpe you get some good replies! All the best, Tuscany

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi there! Don't know how much I'll be able to help, DD has been cruising for a month or so now, and we've been using a crib sidecar for that time. We were using an arms reach cosleeper before, and she was usually in bed with us anyway, but then she started to crawl and we were
so we subbed it out with her crib.

Our bed is pretty high too and therefore so is her mattress, but we haven't had any problems. She pulls up, and the top bar is about level with her chin. She can't climb out or anything.

About crawling off the bed: she did fall off once.
I think it's kinda a rite of passage, tho. It sounds scary but everyone I know it has happened to at least once. Some things you can do are push the bed up against the wall on the other side; surround the mattress with pillows on the floor so if she falls she lands on something soft; teach her to turn around and back her way off the bed (not kidding! babies this age can be taught this); or nurse her down for naps on the floor and leave her there.

Good luck and HTH.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh! I had an idea that I forgot to mention. Maybe you could raise the crib instead of raising the mattress? Leaving the casters on is one way to do that but it only raises it a little... maybe you could get some blocks of wood and screw them onto the legs somehow, to raise the crib itself so you can still drop the mattress?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just wanted to mention, that we do the sidecar too--but WITH the gate. We never removed it. When DD outgrew her arm's reach co-sleeper at 5 months (because she could sit up on her own), we moved her crib smack against our bed. She was able to stand up in her crib by 6 months though, so we HAD to keep the gate up.

What we do, is put 15 month DD to sleep in her crib (I usually still nap her there too), then we go to bed 3 hrs later. Whenever she wakes for the first time, I move her into our bed. The crib gate serves as a "wall" on one side of our bed, so she doesn't fall out, and DH serves as the other "wall."

Sometimes we do let her sleep solo on the bed, because our bed is low and we have a gate at the door (and the room is safe). But I am most comfortable if she is in her crib (if I am out of the room, that is.) I'm sure by the time she is two, we can graduate her from her crib and let her sleep solo in our bed (when we are downstairs, and when she naps).

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
When my first son was born my hubby did not want to take apart the bed frame and have the mattress on the floor. We argued about it for awhile. then he went away for a weekend and I simply took the bed apart myself, put the frame and headboard into the garage, and set up the boxspring and mattress on the floor. My DH was too lazy to do anything about it. :LOL We've moved twice since then and our bed is still on the floor. In fact I just sold our headboard and frame at a garage sale.

Not saying you should do this...but my DH has never complained or questioned the arrangement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are dealing with this exact same issue. The sidecar arrangement is working well for us, my son is now more mobile. Yesterday when he woke from a nap, he rolled out of the sidecar onto the bed and luckily ran into a pillow before rolling right off the other side.

So, we put the fourth rail of the crib back on and then reattached the crib to our bed. The fourth rail is in the lowered position, so I can lift him over it to move him back and forth between our bed and the crib, but it is not ideal is many respects.

I have an idea for an alternate fourth "rail" between the sidecar crib and the bed, but I'm not sure how to make it work. I was thinking that we could take a blanket and put one end under one of our mattresses. Then it would come up between the two mattresses and could attach at the top of the crib. When he was napping or before I come to bed, the fourth "rail" could be up. And when I am in bed, it could come down, and it would just be a bit of fabric between us. I'm not sure how to attach it at the top...ideally something easy for me to attach and detach. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone done anything similiar? Any ideas for making this work? Or, ever hear of a product like this we could buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jogirl
We upgraded her sidecar to a daybed (a big 3-sides crib
. Works great.
That's brilliant
I never thought of that!

We never sidecarred the crib (actually not true, we just never *used* our sidecarred crib for the month or so it was up) but when dd#1 used to nap on the bed by herself, I would build what we referred to as the "wall of pillows" - worked pretty well

We now have our mattresses on the floor and we use Snug Tuck Pillows (http://www.snugtuckpillow.com) to ensure that no one just rolls off. Again, not foolproof as they can climb up on them and then they roll off head first
but they have to be fairly awake to do that and it's only happened once. Putting the mattresses on the floor has been key for us but if dh won't go for it maybe put pillows on the floor too just in case she falls off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts