Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bare with me as I try to explain this...<br><br>
We have an insurance claim in with our insurance company right now because our furnace blew up when we were gone on vacation.<br>
A cleaning company came and cleaned our house. They sent the bill to our insurance company. Our insurance company paid all of the bill except the 250.00 deductable. So a bill comes from the cleaning company for the 250.00..<br>
My dh feels he wants to talk the cleaning co. down on the amount we owe them. He thinks maybe he can convince them to accept maybe 150.00 (or whatever..)<br>
My point was that if he did in fact talk them down... we still owe the remainder of our deductable in some form..(we have already recieved one check from insurance co. for some bills.. still have other bills to submit)<br>
Dh says that if we satisfy the the bill to the cleaning co... regardless if it was 2.00 or 250.. then thats perfectly fine. The insurance company wouldn't care.. they don't want to know.<br><br>
I say thats akin to insurance fraud.. He says no.. only if the cleaning company SAID to insurance company that we paid an amount, when we actually didn't.. I say they are infering that by not saying anything.<br><br>
We actuallly called insurance company (not our specific rep) and asked this question...they guy didn't know..(?????)<br><br>
So what do you think???

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The insurance company doesn't give a rat's patootie how much you pay the cleaning company. The insurance paid the the claim based on the bill they received. The insurance has accounted for the $250, so as far as they are concerned it's over and done. If you can negotiate with the cleaning company for less, then it's just money you saved!

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Bau3, I'm speaking from logical assumption and not in-depth industry knowledge here (and insurance is certainly far from logical sometimes!) but I agree with you. Insurance wants to be sure you pay your deductable - if the cleaning company can afford to slash the bill by $100, then the insurance company would have wanted to pay $100 less and still have you pay your full deductable. They want you to pay $250 and they'll be responsible for anything else... that they can't wheedle out of, claim is not covered, claim is only covered up to a certain point... No different than a health insurance deductable. The doctors office can afford not to charge patients that $5 deductable, but if they do then the insurance company will refuse to cover the rest of the charges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts